Importing Parts

Hi all,

This is more of a general question, but has anyone bought parts from overseas? I'm looking at modding the crap out of my blobeye (over many moons) and looking over the net you can get parts cheaper from overseas, considerably cheaper: e.g. a Perrin FMIC for £1050-1100 rather than £1500-1600.

Obviously there are shipping and customs/excise charges (!Removed!) so I was wondering whether anyone has gone down this route, was it actually cheaper etc. If anyone has any recommendations too that would be pretty cool.

Cheers

Rich

I did get stuff from the states on regular occasions and it still worked out slightly cheaper even with the man taking his considerable chunk, just check for warranty cover though - EU countries can ship with less tax impact an I know some bring products in from the far east so it is worth researching.

flip side - we are in a recession and supporting in country is a good thing, IMO, so contract the distributor and see if a deal can be made, check on this site and see if others are interested and a bulk buy could be had which would engineer a discount

I know there was another guy said he could get parts cheaper from a Canadian scrap dealer then in the UK. Not something Iv'e done myself would consider it though. But would research it 1st before buying.  

Cheers guys. Jay, who did you use when getting stuff state-side?

I totally agreeing with buying from the UK, and if we were talking £50 then I would for sure. But a couple of hundred quid negates that :).

I haven't imported subaru stuff (only had the car a couple of months), more things like MTX amps for ICE installs, pro circuit pipes and silencers, suspension parts, cylinder heads, Boston pro speakers - am currently researching a sub and box specifically made for the subaru impreza US market which could be the next import.

I look at importing things that are generally unavailable to the UK market but command a premium by UK distributors