Key problems

Tizaala

Well ,the first job is disconnect the neg. terminal of the Battery, then you have to change the siren for the new one in the kit............. I finally found the siren hidden under the panel where the wipers are, so far so good, I cannot find the old alarm unit, it is supposed to be above the clutch pedal, the only box I can see is a white one on a metal bracket to the right of the steering column to the side of the fuse box . just behind the socket for the diagnostics  plug , is that it ? If not where the hell is it hidden on a 2003 forester 20x.

I need help please.

Well, after giving up and handing the job to my local garage , they came out yesterday and towed it in, rang them this lunchtime and it was ready for collection, the boys had a hell of a job with it , had to take all the fascia off just to locate the old unit, it was tucked away behind the glove box, so everything is now working again , and they even changed the LED warning lamp for the new 3 colour one , green amber red , also fitted the new keypad so everything is as it should be . probably going to cost more than the car, but hey, I'm mobile again so what the hell.

Many thanks to you guys for the help and advice I received on this brilliant site, you do a marvellous service for scooby owners, 

Cheers guys 

Regards 

Doug (Tizaala)

PS . hermes couriers turned up yesterday afternoon , I sent them away with a flea in their ear , they thought we were out as there was no car and they tried to dump the parcel in our stables, got the shock of their lives when challenged, total !Removed! lied to the Subaru garage as well said" they tried to deliver it but we were out, " we have not been off the place for two weeks .....

• 2 weeks later...

Here we are again, I eventually got over to France and managed to view 10 of the 12 properties that we had short listed, Just completed the viewing and set up the sat-nav for the next jaunt to the south , went to start the car and ----nothing , !Removed! alarm system had struck again. Good job I had total European recovery breakdown cover , It has now been taken to a Subaru dealership for sorting. and I am stuck in a hotel until next Friday when they might get  to look at it for me. This trip has been doomed from the start.

Oh not good news mate :( I'd have thought with having a full new unit would have sorted it. I will ask where you was parked up was you under any overhead power lines or anything that can interfere with it ?

Bit renowned these alarms to suffer with it. I've even known a mate of mine get stuck in Asdas because of the magnetic strips in the car parks to stop trolleys from being taken out to have caused his to have a melt down once it was taken far enough away from them it started 1st time.

But maybe on any brighter news seen any of the houses look any good :) ?

Is possible it wiring loom related & during movement of new siren & main module it corrected itself temporarily.

Was the replacement kit 100% brand new or a refurbished one !

Did you try the pin code to disarm !

Could actually be the subaru transponder imobilizer rather than the alarm as if you had armed alarm it would of either not unlock or possibly set siren off if not disarming via remote fob.

Sounds a bit of a nightmare, hope works out favourably.

It was a brand spanking new replacement unit as you can no longer get replacements that have been repaired. No power lines within 10 Kms of where I was parked , isolated  country  property only trees and fields , no electric fences , nothing . 

Did fall on my feet  in respect of where I broke down though, lovely people that gave me a bed for two nights and  fed me roast dinners,  He's a rock guitarist , and plays blues and fusion jazz, has played with Genesis , Name of Chris Dair, a brilliant musician.

He phoned me this morning to say that I can go and stay with them again until my car is fixed and he will collect me  at 10 am in the morning,

Treat yourselves to a listen.

Well not a bad result that :-)

Think this was destined to happen lol

Hope you have a good time & car alarm issue works out as good as your jazzy roast dinner hosts, nice to see decent people helping out in times of need ...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well , what a disastrous trip that was, the recovery people sent a taxi for me to collect my car from the scooby agent in France, it was over an hour away from my hosts place , big show rooms and loads of Subaru flags and banners everywhere. I got out of the taxi and walked in.....no cars not a single Subaru to be seen.!..just an old woman in reception.She got the boss , he got the bill out €189....gave me the key and sent me to the workshop. I pushed the key fob... nothing . mechanic (?) came over and said" this is how you do it now", he got in pushed the code into the keypad, turned the key. the engine warning light came on , " you ignore that light now " he said, 

the !Removed! had bypassed the system, nothing worked as it should, the auto choke didn't work at all, and when I opened the back door all the hazards came on. 

But it got me back to the uk, and yesterday I gave it to the Scooby agents in Abergavenny . The French !Removed! had shorted the alarm system out by taking a wire from the starter motor and cutting three more wires in the loom. so another new alarm was fitted and repairs to the loom to sort out the mess. £436 please.. but now it all works again.

So if you ever break down in France DO NOT GO NEAR THE SCOOBY AGENT IN BRIVE.....THEY ARE TOTAL !Removed!

Lol, that pretty shocking to be honest.

It quite easy bypass the alarm temporary via the main module loom plug & a diagram of the Sigma circuits :-S

I have seen a few problems with french repairs & had a few french who preferred having work done in UK as generally better job & many times cheaper too which surprised me !

Least you & the Forester got back to the UK & all sorted ... shame about the bills but least seems problem fixed ...