Am I being overcharged? help?

5345jamie

My Head Gasket Blew on my subaru 1997 legacy 2.0 twin turbo, but I'm being told by mechanic, its join got cost nearly £2,000

needing new engine as pistons gone, crank something gone, bores gone, pistons gone, cam belt... and the list goes on.... 

What do I do ?

• Like 1

It's about the right cost for a full engine rebuild. I had a full engine rebuild done that was a little more than that by Scooby world. 

I'd only trust certain people though, they could be just billing you for it all and might not need it all doing. Only other thing to look at is another engine maybe a refurbished one or a 2nd hand one to keep costs down. But you run the risk with 2nd hand of it having faults :( 

I did the 2nd hand engine thing with a CRV last year and has been great if I'm being honest, but was told the engine was new it was an insurance right off engine. Might have been in the floods or was damaged on the way to a main stealers. worked out cheaper than a rebuild though. 

did it overheat badly? some mechanics don't like working on Subaru so to cover themselves they just say is knackered (had it tried on me few years ago!)

Not being funny but whats a 97 legacy worth? Is it worth chucking 2k on?

• 5 months later...

Believe it or not my legacy is still at the mechanics yard! Its a never ending nightmare and the labour cost just keeps going up, i have no idea wether he is a crook or my car is genuinely cursed, I will copy and paste some of his messages so please somebody give me some solid advice as I'm so fed up with it all and have literally no idea wether to pay him for all the costs or take him to court for lying!

Cut a long story short he told me that the originally head gaskets that went caused so much damage to the engine id have to buy a whole new engine which i did ( 1500euros ) that was 5 MONTHS ago!

1 MONTH ago he told me it is the wrong engine so he would make it work out of parts from both the old and new engine

1 WEEK ago he said he succeeded in this and its running!

2 DAYS ago he said he took it for a test drive and the head gaskets blew up!! He said they were the wrong ones he put in so he would pay for the correct reinforced heads as it was his mistake.

This AFTERNOON he received the new reinforced supposedly correct heads and fitted them...only to now tell me that actually they aren't right and he cannot guarantee they won't blow up after a few days!!

WHAT DO I DO? Pleease somebody help !!

Suonds like he doesn't know what he's doing, i'd get some legal advice and ask to see all the parts he's bought, old enhgine new one etc etc, recipts for the gaskets and what not, he's either incompetent or trying to pull the wool over your eyes

• Like 1

Headgasket = bottom end build as well. It will more than likley cause the bearings to be pinched and they have a high chance of failing after a very short period. 2k is pretty cheap for a full build though.

But as said, sounds like he is clueless, where is it?

• Like 1

get your car back and don't pay him a cent

he sounds like he hasn't got a clue what he's doing (there's a Rotherham garage that specializes in scoobies and he hasn't got a clue either, he even blew his own car up on the rollers :o )

I agree with the above. Sounds like he hasn't got a clue. I'm no mechanic don't pretend to be..... But I can if any !Removed! film would like me to be in one as a mechanic. Just saying ;) I think I'd have more of a clue than him by the sounds of it though. bit far from Martin in Sheffield and I'm not sure of anyone close to you :( 

I agree with the above. Sounds like he hasn't got a clue. I'm no mechanic don't pretend to be..... But I can if any !Removed! film would like me to be in one as a mechanic. Just saying ;) I think I'd have more of a clue than him by the sounds of it though. bit far from Martin in Sheffield and I'm not sure of anyone close to you :(

You don't need to be mechanic or a genius to have common sense. It sounds like that guy is not a genius and has no common sense. I would even question if he is a mechanic.
  • Like 1