Hot Front Discs

Dino

Went for a long run yesterday. Brakes were ok, even under lots of country road braking. I also checked them in a layby on the motorway just in case they were really hot, but again ok - just warm only.

Now, the thing is I need to put some more brake fluid in. My WRX spec says use 4.1 but I hear 5.1 is better to use on these cars.

How can I tell when it has in it? And, can 4.1 and 5.1 be mixed? Or do I have to completely drain the brake system?

Stupid Brake. Front one jamming on again. I've tried everything... new calliper, bled brakes, cleaned and skimmed off only dirty bits on the pad edges and greased so they glide on the runners, cleaned the runners too, and the disc isn't warped. I fail to understand what I'm doing wrong! I give up, it needs to go to someone who can fix it.

Cusco refurbishes them I'm still waiting for him to reply a week later though [emoji33] but I can message him again and see what he says for yiu if you want. He strips the lot out and fits new bits and has them repainting.

• 2 months later...

"Red Rubber" grease that's supposed to be the best now because it doesn't ruin the rubber parts on calipers (thought you'd like that Gambit) :) Check it out: http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Product.do?method=view&n=2079&p=425233&c=215&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Grease&gclid=CMmx3_Lg6cMCFSvLtAods2UAAg

"castrol Red Rubber Grease can be used on all conventional vehicle hydraulic brake systems utilising DOT 3, DOT 4, Super DOT 4, DOT 4 Plus and 5.1 type brake hydraulic fluids."

Now I haven't used this yet on my brakes.

Better still, I found a trick to free up ceased caliper pistons and pads. You wash the car in a lot of wash and wax soap, spraying it into the wheels etc. Wash off and leave the car standing all weekend with hand brake on. When you start the car, let off the hand brake, put in first gear and accelerate smartly - you'll feel a sudden "jolt" as the ceased brake pads on the discs detach on the rear. This jolt is enough to miraculously free up the back brakes and reset the piston and pads enough to stop them sticking and making noises. It's worked for now... will monitor some more.

• Like 1

I think it was bitman who said the red grease is best to use. KY jelly I find is best for me. [emoji6]

Not tried it myself but think I need some my front n/s has just started to make a noise when warm and light braking. [emoji19]

yeah, the braking thing is annoying. It's weird because you'd have thought brakes on these cars would be a priority to work ALL the time without seizing, squeaking like a mouse or mooing like a cow (which mine was doing). I may as well have been driving a sup'ed up muck spreader last week. :)