Adjusting Legacy rear camber.

Hi all,

Went to revolution motorstore in Gateshead this afternoon for a full wheel alignment, had great service btw.

The hunter alignment they use was really good, gives really accurate measurements of toe, camber, caster, etc etc.

They changed the Toe alignments no problems. however, the rear camber on the Legacy cannot be adjusted. As its different to the Impreza chassis. So a replacement part that can be adjusted is required. They couldn't source a part in the UK, but suggested I check out sites in the US, as Legacies are very common over there.

So, does have any idea what kinda part I would need to adjust the rear camber?

Three links below are the only things that I can find, but im not really sure what Im looking at. Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.larkspeed.com/index.pl?p=64581260K&a=i

http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=88&products_id=2944

http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=88&products_id=3033

ah sweet thanks guys.

I had a thought earlier. As Legacies do not have adjustable rear camber and only the drivers side rear camber is off. Could that mean that actually one of the camber arms (if you call them that) is actually bent or something along those lines?

Could be slight suspension component worn/bent.

You do have a certain amount of change simply by the slop of fittings such as strut tophat & standard bolts in the strut to hub bracket wich can vary the camber somewhat .

Would assume if big difference the shop would be suspicious to possible underlying problem & mentioned it.

Quite surprised that an alignment shop didn't have a few camber bolts though as the 14mm ones are common for quite a few cars & stocking 12mm & 14mm would be super useful to the shop & customers.

Eibach camber bolts are pretty good too & I would use them but out of choice I would say whiteline are better. not expensive but stay away from cheaper unknown brands ...

Edit:

Just had a look at Powerflex camber bolts & they same design with washer tab as eibach & whiteline so probably just as good & easily available in UK.

• Like 1

Ah thanks Mr B.

The rear camber on the left was -0(Degrees)42(Minutes) and the rear camber on the right hand side was -1(Degrees)34(minutes) (lol Sorry, cant find the degrees symbol on my keyboard) 

The front camber is off to, with the front left at -0(Degrees)23(minutes) and the right -1(Degrees)0(minutes).

They couldn't fix the front camber, as it needed to be "freed off" and there wasn't enough time left in the day to do it. And the rear camber couldn't be done as its not adjustable on the Mk4 Legacies. The guy did have a look for the parts, however, I think he said that on Imprezas the rear camber arm is adjustable, so he was looking for an equivalent part for the legacy. I guess he wasn't aware of the whiteline KCA399 Rear Control arm - upper outer bushing.

Although, Mr B. What does this part do? and how does it differ from the KCA 399 bushings? http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=88&products_id=2944

The bolt just replaces the upper bolt in the hub to strut mount, as you turn the bolt it can increase or decrease camber due to the cam on bolt shank.

bushing will do same via centre hole off-centre so as rotate bush the suspension arm moves in or out (more of pain to adjust though) but I think for you the bolts are perfect solution & is the way Subaru done it on front & back for years.

I have whiteline ones but will be stocking powerflex 12 & 14mm for a trial, from images & spec sheet they should be as good.

• Like 1

Oh i see, so the bolt kit would be a better option than the bushes?

I gave Revolution a call yesterday to see if they'd fit the bushes. Waiting for a call back, so will find out if they are willing to fit the bolts instead.

To be honest if you took the wheel off marked the position of the existing bolt locations, you could whip them out pop in the new ones aligning them roughly with the old marks and drive it slowly to Rev's for them to align it all properly. Just depends on how much then want to charge you to do it

• 1 month later...

So on top of the camber correction whiteline bushings, I also need new "nearside and offside rear (Droplink) anti roll bars" and "front (d bush) anti roll bar" Mot says - rubber bush deteriorated

So I was looking at this for the rear, just wondering if that looks like the correct part? , http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_detail4.php?part_number=KLC144

Or is it a better idea to go for cheaper oem parts?

Also, what are d bushings haha

ah thanks bud, what does

lol cant help but feel like i need to buy the more expensive ones, because they are more expensive and says "extra heavy duty" - therefore i assume they will be better lol. Damn this car hobby

I would just use quality standard style drop links . extra cash would make bigger difference spent on decent strut braces upper & lower.

drop links >

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-FORESTER-IMPREZA-LEGACY-01-10-REAR-STABILIZER-ANTI-ROLL-BAR-DROP-LINKS-X2-/171037535002?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3ALegacy|Plat_Gen%3AMK+IV&hash=item27d2a1ab1a

front anti-rollbar D bushes is the D shaped doughnut bush holding bar to car, could use powerflex or whiteline or quality standard replacement >

expect poly-bushes around £40 & quality standard style £25 for pair . best checking parts with your car details as few variations in size ...

• Like 1

ah thanks MR B. I looked at strut brace and new sway bars, but i aint got enough cash for those. :(

I've got it booked back in with Revolution in a few weeks time to get the whiteline camber bushes for the rear, the front "freed off" and another camber adjustment. But now I'm thinking it would make sense to have them fit new drop links at the same time? As they are working in that area anywhere.

As the anti roll bar droplinks require replacing, would this affect the camber? The mot certificate says "anti roll bar has slight play in a ball joint" if that helps lol.

thanks again :)

edit, just looked on Importcarparts n found the parts i need.

http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/parts_info.asp?id=10467&cat=96⊂=501&sec=2465&var=38&dc=0&gen=&searchKey=&searchPart=

http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/parts_info.asp?id=2220&cat=96⊂=501&sec=2465&var=38&dc=0&gen=&searchKey=&searchPart=

Would those drop links be good enough? Not "Chinese knock offs" as my mate said lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Went through to revolution today for them to adjust my front and rear camber - had to change some of the rear control arm bushes, so the rear camber can be adjusted. Turns out they couldn't remove the old bushes, their 30ton press wasn't strong enough, as the old nonadjustable bushes were still in good condition. So it's book in during march so they can take the parts to other garage who has a 130ton press lol. Can't complain tbh, wasn't their fault and he didnt charge me anything.