Subtle performance ideas needed.

Scoobyghost

Hi guys

I'm looking to get a few ideas from you guys and I'm calling on your experience. As it's stands my impreza turbo has only had front 4-pots with grooved disc and a very quiet, subtle rear box added.

Now I'm in no rush to modify it but I want to add a better exhaust system complimented by a decent induction kit, mapped in by whatever you guys recommend to be a good map/mapper.

Money is no issue when it comes to my lovely impreza. Cambelt and full service is on the list first so like I say no rush here.

I'm all ears and really appreciate any advice you can offer. I'm not modifying her for the power but some rough guess of gains would be nice and also some prices I might expect to pay. [emoji4]

Cheers guys.

Yeah the brakes would've been first. I can't stand the power power power mentality if you can't stop quicker dont get faster quicker.

Would you recommend a 255 walbro as I've seen only good things on these?

Is it worth changing any induction piping or moving the filter?

I live down in Kent just a stone's through away from that God awful car park known as the M25.

I'm guessing the remap should be last so it can accomidate all the other upgrades together but what order is best to go?

A few members have had problems with the walbro pumps seems that the quality has gone downhill in the Last couple of years,the roger clark motorsport ones have been recommended before along with scoobyworx pumps.

The maff sensor doesn't get on with oiled filters like the k&n ones so maybe a dry drop in one may be better, there are loads of induction kits around but I'd stick with the standard air box if your not after big bhp gains, the heat generated in the engine bay is going to cancel out the benefits of a cone filter in my opinion,

I've been told to either mod the intake side or the exhaust side but not both if you don't plan on getting a map straight away as it messes up the fueling too much, how true this is I don't know but I'm not planning on trying just incase,

I ended up going sports cat and ss exhaust system as the previous one was rotting away, I haven't seen any over boost issues that may occur if you delete the cats without a map but I do know mine runs a little rich due to not being mapped yet, if yours is a My99 car onwards there's ecutek software and others available for you.

Duncan from racedynamix comes highly recommended for mapping, I'm sure a few more members from down your way will be able to ad a few more names,

So I'd go either exhaust or intake mods, fuel pump, then if you want to change the other bit you've not done, do it on the day of mapping then of it is running funny you won't cause too many issues

• Like 2

Nice advice Stants thank you.

So far in my head I'm going rcm fuel pump then a cat back as exhaust followed by a remap and I'll get in touch with Duncan. I've just been reading up on his website. I'll let him know my intention and see if he has any suggestions too.

I have my00 so ecutek seems to be my best option. What sort of power figured do you think I'll see out of these mods?

Not entirely sure to be honest, all depends, what was yours as standard 220 bhp ? Think yours has Td04 turbo and 440cc injectors stock so theoretical figures up to about 270 before things start to run out of puff.

Don't hold me to these I'm just giving ballpark max extractable figures from the turbo.

Of course Stants. Won't have you I court for false claims like Sony and their killzone case. [emoji1] I think my car is 210 standard and 270 sounds like a nice figure. Eventually I'd like to get a bit more "hard-core" into the nodding scene but for now these mods will make it feel more "Scooby" to me.

Not a bad shout. I do like a car that can handle the power. I'd definitely put a top front brace on is there any need for a rear top brace?

Top ones are almost just for the show compare to the subframe and anti roll bars...

This is a good source of information on engine performance. Duncan talks about taking it to 300 bhp and says an induction kit won't improve performance. Just need an upgraded panel filter. 

http://www.racedynamix.co.uk/remap/subaru-remapping/typical-upgrade-path-newage-2-0-wrx/

I have a 2.0 wx blob. So slightly different car  :D

I did Pipercross panel filter, WR Sport back box (it was a standard option for my car from Prodrive, I got it 2nd hand off eBay) and a Walbro.  Duncan remapped it to VPower and I got 272bhp. 

I didn't really do it for the extra power. I wanted slightly better economy (if possible) and a smoother delivery of power and better midrange. It really does feel like a new car. Theres no jerkiness going through the gears now.

As for economy, the Walbro seemed to dent my MPG figures - I get about 60miles less a tank now.....the remap a few months after has helped but it didn't bring it down to pre-walbro figures.