Windows 10 will be a free upgrade - even for Windows 7 users

Gambit

windows-10-freeupgrade.jpg

Windows 10 is such a big upgrade to the operating system that Microsoft skipped a whole version number in naming it. And the company will reward anyone that opted to skip out on the last main release.

That’s because Windows 10 will be a totally free upgrade for Windows 7 users, along with those running Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1. Microsoft announced the news today during a currently ongoing live conference that’s digging deeper into consumer-oriented features.

Microsoft says the free upgrade is an effort to end fragmentation between versions. Granted, the free offer will only be around for the first year of Windows 10’s availability. No word yet on what pricing will be like thereafter.

However, based on what we’ve seen so far, Windows 10 looks like it’ll be worth the upgrade - even (and maybe especially) for those who found Windows 8’s dramatic transformation off-putting.

Not sure but i'm on 8.1 it's taking me a year to get used to it. So I get to do it all again now :D I'll wait for a bit least 3 months see what people say about it, before I update to it. My mother's a bit of a sucker with stuff like this I'll let her guinea pig it  :lol:

• Like 1

I've not found it to bad to deal with now I have used it for awhile but needed to learn it and how to use things. And most of it was made to be used with ease if you ask me. But like the windows itself.

Microsoft has unveiled Windows 10. Tonight we saw lots of new information about Windows 10 on PC, tablet and phone. And we found out that the Windows 10 upgrade would be free for existing Windows users when it launches later this year. Here's everything you need to know about the Windows 10 UK release date, price and new features. See also: Microsoft's January 21 Windows 10 event live stream and live blog.

Windows 8 has not been a universal success. In many ways a necessary step not well executed, Windows 8's attempt to stitch together desktop and mobile has been way too radical to encourage new users. And as the longer life of existing PCsand laptops combines with the growth of smartphones andt ablets to continually slow PC sales, Window 8 has come to be seen as a dud. See also: Windows 10 review.

This means two things: a new and improved Windows in the fastest possible time and - oddly - a jump in numerals to Window 10.

Windows 10 will include Xbox, in an app form. And a new web browser currently known as 'Spartan'.

Windows 10: UK release date

The latest build of Windows 10 will launch to insider testers next week, the final week of January 2015. It will hit Windows Phones in February. (See: How to install Windows 10 now.)

Microsoft has stated that Windows 10 will launch "later in the year" in 2015, so we won't get the April release we were hoping for. But it has also said that it will share more about "universal apps" at its annual Build conference in April. The Technical Preview licence runs until April 15 2015, so expect a more complete beta then.

Tonight, January 21 2015, we saw many more details of how Windows 10 will work across smartphone, tablet and desktop. And a new build was announced for testing.  But Microsoft also made it clear that final code will not launch for at least six months.

Kevin TurnerChief Operating Officer at Microsoft said in late 2014: "By next late summer and early fall we'll be able to bring out this particular OS (operating system). That's the current plan of record," according to Reuters.

Microsoft will not announce a definite launch date, because it is committed to user testing and doesn't want to be beholden to a specific date as it was with Windows Vista. But the plan is to launch Windows 10 for the all important fourth quarter of this year. Expect a September launch, or thereabouts.

I think Windows 8.1 is an ok OS if you have touch screen, but a nightmare if not.. I still don't like not having the proper start menu though ;)

Yep thats my biggest issue I even had to make a shortcut for My Computer I'd be lost without that on my desktop I can't even remember how I did it lol.

• Like 1

Windows 8 & 8.1 is pig **** as simple as that.

Interface is !Removed!, quite like tile design but f00king useless unless touchscreen & didn't go any deeper than the tile homescreen really.

No start menu was huge *****-up & had huge potential for tile styling & widgets (apps) & was a must for user preference & hardware (non touchscreen)

Driver issues is another disaster.

I'm on 7 Ultimate for business & home use, Windows 8 & 8.1 was a disaster with our diagnostics kit so the free key I had was useless.

Boot & shutdown times on 7 are just as good if use SSD & know how do a good install without useless bloatware & running services.

Most businesses still on XP & 7, just look in a hospital or airport to back that up.

Am hoping 10 has made vast improvements but not holding my breath as after using WM6.5.5 & then having that Windows Phone !Removed! supersede it proved how stupid & backwards MS are. I can datalog & live read faults on my Windows Mobile devices, on Windows Phone sending email with attachments was a challenge let alone any advanced usage :-D

Totally going backwards with OS concept & design :-/

All sounds rather negative but I hold 7 in high regard as our computer usage on 7 has been faultless & easy in everything we thrown at it ...

Don't like look of free offer on this 10 either, that just 1 year then you will paying Billy Boy !

I will test 10 on spare notebook but I can't throw away a working OS just to be up to date/trend ....

I take it you're not a fan of windows 8  :lol:  I like it better than the crap windows vista 7 was a good I liked it but my PC died and along went my windows 7 with it. I don't built my own PC so much now as it's easier to just buy one with a built in operating system not a fan of Apple products but I think I'll need to get one with my new course if I pass. But back to Windows 8 I think it was the learning curve of it that got to people. I can use mine now like any other and navigate around it easy enough, the start menu is kind of still there if you right click the windows icon that replaced the start menu. But as I said before I have to have My Computer shortcut on the desktop for ease. 

I like a chinese digital pocket planner more than Vista :-)

Just amazing that some of the supposedly best OS development team in the world could produce Vista then top it with 8 8.1

So yeh bit of a 8 hater me, quite capable with PC's too - software & hardware but 8 & 8.1 was useless for my needs, sure some things can be resolved by extreme effort but that not how a modern OS should work.

In business time is money & if i'm spending extra 20 minutes per diagnosis session due to driver issues & crashes someone got pay for that time .

I still have 8.1 on the spare notebook on one drive & amazes me how !Removed! it is every time I have a play with it. design is awful, compatibility is awful, lack of inspiration & logical concept is in abundance, I have no idea what MS development team & testing had been doing to produce such a useless windows evolution  :-/

Fingers crossed 10 is back on track & they put some effort in it !

Hope the Phone version of 10 half decent too as not great fan of Android or Apple.

Proper ranting old timer me :-D :-P

• Like 1

Weird you had problems with the drivers though. So far I've found everything that worked on 7 has worked on 8.1 And everything I've plug in it seems to just sort itself out like say my phone as an example. But I will say I had to learn the OS it wasn't easy to work with from the start. Which I do find strange as you have said in business you need things to just work. As for Phones I'm Samsung all the way best phones on the market but my Missus has a windows phone and I do actually like them too simple easy to use and solid. And nothing wrong with a good old moan I do it a few times a day :) 

yeh we have driver issues with diagnosis cables & software for gas analyser crashes.

Also compatibility with our office printer was half hearted & some driver functions such as ink level & advanced maintenance would not work.

do agree within reason that driver issues not exactly MS fault but they really need do best effort with backward compatibility & that was one of the big points of Windows 7 adoption success.

Working with the OS was an eyesore & clever OS should be intuitive in use !

Will be using 7 in the workshop for some time I expect, will play with 10 once retail released & had some teething time but won't be swapped until support gone for 7 or because it that damn amazing it worth the money & effort to update.

So far my only issue with anything that doesn't work was just right click properties then run in administrator. Then its all worked after that so far [emoji4] it is a bit annoying and had LED me to swear at it a few times before now [emoji1] but now I've cottoned on to that is first thing I check. I know Epsom if its them and you use the cheaper inks there new driver picks up on that [emoji35] have 3 just sat here now I'm not using for that reason. [emoji22]

Office printer is canon. Indeed use compatible inks & all fine under 7.

Could get around it with a canon service utility that would function on what was needed.

Canon had listed driver as not full 8 compatible & not likely get updated.

Main concern for me beside my personal dislike of 8 was our diagnostic software as that needs run without hassle.

Yeah it's understandable with the diagnostic side let's face it not cheap and as you said before will cost you money :( Cannon good printers really and not that I know you can't get cheap inks but surprised at cannon not supporting windows 8 unless it was end of line printer. 

Quite old in today's world & after couple years they only really support current model range. Kind of one of those things and more canon than MS at blame.

Beauty with 7 was even real old stuff we had for XP would work on 7 sometimes required compatibility mode & the admin trick like you doing on 8 but once tweaked it would run faultless.

I run MS on everything & still on WM6.5.5 on the phone, like you say Windows Phone looks nice & tiles work good on the phone but man is it basic/incompetent, very much a dumb phone compared to old WM6.5 or Android.

Fingers crossed on 10, let me know how your mum gets on with it :-D

Best I get cracking, my own moaning is holding up the workshop today :-P

• Like 1

Eating doughnuts & looking at MS remarks on the 10 upgrade would suggest that current idea is a guaranteed 1yr window from release date to update free & that updated OS remains free for life on that hardware system.

Is possible free update will become permanent pending on the market in terms of popularity & OS competitiveness .

Not a bad deal if 10 turns out a winner,  will have a use for my 8 retail key after all :-)

Cool like the sound of it more. I know a mate of mine had a dodgy copy of windows 7 when that came out M$ picked up on it. They messaged him offering to give him a legit key for £28. [emoji15] jammy or what my luck they'd have stopped my windows from working.

They are quite forgiving on pirated systems, treat you as an innocent & tend offer cut prices even if you contact them over your licensing issues.

Never had any licence issues with them even when have been a bit naughty so they get a thumbs up for that ...

I think the 8 fiasco gave them a right rumping, throw in popularity of OSX & GPL. open source OS growth has forced the licensing to be free or damn close to it .

Won't be as flexible as old days of a retail key & OS install media but if do backups & review setup media options before a disaster etc it should be good for most & hard to grumble if truly free ...

When I used to build my PC I always had a wrong copy lol :) mount of times XP they would slowly stop things working on it like media player and word. One of the reason I just buy a PC legit windows and for what I do now it does what I need. 

I buy hardware only, mainly as prefer some of the older 14.1" notebooks for workshop use (tough & easy/cheap repair) & likes of hp dv6000 machines can be bought for price of take away & with cpu change to best in range & an SSD they perform better than many decent spec new but with huge saving in initial cost & also easily repaired/maintained as parts are in abundance.

Windows 7 was easy to hooky licence with OEM certificates & bios 2.1 patch.

Had good deal on 2 7 extra licences from MS though.

Quite hard these days in UK to buy a PC/Notebook without an OS.