another newbie..

thatcherben

hello all, i am picking up my subaru tomorrow morning, it is not the all singing and dancing model that most of you may have, but i love it regardless (so far)

its a 1998 legacy 2.0 gls auto, it was cheap enough, fully serviced and only a handfull of miles into its new timing belts and tensioners. not the most sprightly of models, but a wise choice hopefully as im needing a roomy motor to throw up and down the motorway twice a week, to avoid using the even slower and more thirsty discovery that i also have.

someone mentioned to me that installing a retro fit turbo is an easy job on these? ill bet it isnt but thought there may be someone out there that has also decided to buy the slowest of a fast bunch..

any thoughts welcomed, and hello!

Hello welcome ! I'm sure you'll find the legacy perfect for your motorway needs,

At the end of the day there will always be someone with a 'faster' car than the next man so it doesn't really matter, we're all friendly on here and have a few legacy owners so feel free to get stuck in,

As for retro fitting turbos it's a massive job and your better off buying a trubo model in the 1st place. Oh and pictures of Your new purchase are welcome [emoji51]

Wotcha and welcome - with these NA motors its all about power to weight ratio's - strip out all the excess weight - back seats, parcel shelf, sound damping etc and performance should improve then upgrade the chassis - brakes ARB's and suspension to reduce braking distances lessen body roll and sharpen steering - all for improved safety and road holding of course ;)

We are fortunate to have a wide range of vehicles on this forum not necessarily all high BHP and razor handling so I think you will feel right at home :)

Hi mate welcome to S.O.C

Doesn't matter what it is to us really as long as you're happy with it and it has the right badges. We have a few non turbo owners. Anyway please feel free to jump on the thread's and get to know people everyone's friendly here so no need to worry about posting something wrong. [emoji4]

• Like 1

Thanks chaps, s you say we all have different uses for them too, my main objective really was a roomy motor that I could be lazy and not have to even "drive" what with the auto..

And that hopefully wouldn't be too thirsty with smaller engine. Unfortunately history dictates that my right foot is much heavier than my left so I may well have to upgrade..

Na = normaly aspirated??

Picking it up in a couple of hours, quiet excited to be honest and it's only a £650 car!

• Like 1

Well I've been driving her for a day and an eve, everything works, it's at 108k now and timing belts and tensioned done at 99k

Fully serviced and new mot for £650!

And from a dealer!! Unbelievable!

Drives lovely, very smooth, enough power I guess, everything works and Stereo is good. Paintwork a bit poor but that's it.

Am loving it!

• Like 1

Cheers Steve, I've had a look and the fuse is fine so I guess you may be right there, are you meaning a new socket required or is there another fuse behind it?

Also between the Stereo and heater controls there is what looks like there should be a slide out cup holder but its just a blank for some reason..

There is no other fuse. If you are good with electrics you could repair the socket yourself. have you got voltmeter ? If so take cigarette socket out and measure voltage at the connectors at the back of it. If you have voltage there its definitely the socket itself that needs repairing or replacing. As to cup holder some subarus come with one cup holder between heater and radio and one blank. Il check on that for you tonight.

• Like 1