Subaru non starter

Hi guys

I have a non turbo impreza wagon that turns over but does not fire up when the bad weather started it would start one day then not the next.i have removed a spark plug and earthed it and there is no spark and I have checked both fuseboxes and they are dry and all fuses are ok any help would be much appreciated ,thanks

Hi jay

i haven't got a code reader as im just eliminating causes of a fault like this. apparently according to a yank manual on the car it says my model is coil less and their is just a box on top of the inlet manifold ware the leads come out to connect to the ht leads

Yep well that ignition pack could be at fault along with some other things such as crank/cam timings sensors as if not picking up timing signal it will not fire ignition. Simple things like fuses  relays need checking too ...

What exact year version Fozzy you got ! picking up a Bluetooth OBD dongle & using free software for your android phone or PC software (ask me for link) will give you access to codes, pre OBD2 compliant Fozzy can be checked by joining plugs under dash & reading CEL flash codes. You can also buy a ISO9141 compliant OBD2 VAG to USB cable for less than £4 on eBay & use that with the free FreeSSM software & you got almost dealer quality diagnostics.

really is guess work at moment so fault codes need look at then checking possible components & harnesses via multimeter if nothing basic seen ...

• Like 1

Sounds like a possible fuel pump issue.

Sit in the car with the doors shut. Once it's very quiet, turn the ign keys until all the dash lights come on. You should hear a whirring sound for about 2-3 seconds. It's the fuel pump priming the injection system. If you can't hear it, the fuel pump is very suspect.

^ lol :-D to be honest I would still check pump for priming on ignition on as first step if I was to look at car as had scenario before where people say no spark but when get to test it, it sparks :-)

Assume nothing test everything & start at basics is always way go ...

Cheers mate need to borrow a mates multimeter as my cars are usually so reliable i don't need electrical stuff lol but gonna try multimeter and manual code reading before forking out for a code reader

You would have trouble on codes readers for that model as expect ssm1 plug so need make own connector to use with freessm software, garage kit that works on these ain't cheap.

If lucky you'll find something quickly/easily ..