New brake setup

gazza-wrx

can't say cheapest but if you can fit them I would say eBay is worth a look and without a doubt go for some grooved and vented disc's I have at the min some OEM's and under heavy breaking they soon fade away and leaves you thinking you might not make it :D

I've always got my pads and discs from ECBdirect.com. They are the cheapest I've ever found for EBC.

I've used EBC red Stuff and Yellow stuff pads with tarot grooved vented discs, after that I switched to EBC turbo Grooved Discs With Yelow Stuff pads. All worked well, but you do get more brake dust with the fast road pads.

One other thing that may be worth considering is braided hoses, they don't bulge under pressure and are a lot more durable than rubber if you are going to be driving the car exuberantly.

This is an obvious one but buy brand new pads and discs DO NOT buy 2nd hand ones. Sorry if teaching granny to suck eggs but its a deffo don't try this at home thing.

• Like 2

When I said eBay I didn't mean 2nd hand just to clear that up :) I mean new and if you can fit them yourself.

I agree with the hoses, I think that is part my problem I'm still on rubber. But without a any doubt if you are going to heavy break as Pete and myself have said, grooved is the way forward from my own experience. I believe Jay has said this before, I may fall under this. You can have all the power in the world if you can't stop it what's the point :)  .... But on a side note it does get the !Removed! sweat glans going. So will result in more toilet paper being used so in return could save you some money in the long run   :D

• 3 months later...

If your looking for a better brake with standard callipers then upgrade a few parts:

Braided Hose Kit
Anti Flex Bulkhead Kit (cheap upgrade :) )
Grooved (id go against drilled as can be prone to failure if cheap) Discs
And some good pads (Ferodo DS2500 or similar)

Im running braided hoses, bulkhead flex kit, SWRD discs front and back but put OEM pads in. Noticed a great braking difference until the pads disappeared all over my wheels after a few months so now running mintex and feeling the benefits greatly and the pads arent wearing away like they used to. They werent breaking the bank either and a cheap upgrade point if your changing it out anyway. heard good things about Godspeed brakes as well so thats worth a look but aint cheap! :)

One thing id advise is generally speaking and from a few close call personal experiences in my old RS (lets just say thank the lord it was late and the Junction was empty as i ended up the other side of it) that going cheap on the brakes is the last thing to do. id rather put cheap fuel in my car and stay off boost for 3 months to afford good brakes than buying cheap ones as end of the day its the one thing that keeps your pride and joy intact when you need them most. unfortunately being a scooby the price tag comes with them most of the time.

Upgrading the brakes on the car as well is a good idea, Alcons, D2, K-sport, Brembo's, all fantastic upgrades but you pay the price for them and most of those brands are really only going to benefit you if your going full beans around a track, not if going to tescos and back is the priority lol mind you, those carparks are getting pretty intricate these days......

Keep us posted as to what you pick and let us know how your set up is :)

End of the day its what you find and what works for you and your style of driving :)

• Like 3

CLASSIC UK 2000 Wagon with it being a non turbo ive gone for

Reconditioned 4 pot calipers         (i reconditioned them, i do it for my job) new seals and polished internals where they tend to get tarnished over time.

GRAHAM GOODE RACING          DISCS AND PADS

HEL FRONT BRAIDED HOSE        (i get a good deal on these)

New Brake Fluid                             (  no need to go mad on racing fluid)

good set of rubber                          (205/40/17's f452 falken's)              have always had falkens on my scoob (the past 14 yrs) saloon so am changing them on my wagon soon.

drums on rear just re faced drum  and cleaned shoes, painted drum with heat resistant black paint looks good for now upgrade later to twin-pots.

• Like 2

With regards to drilled discs failing, I had drilled and grooved on all but 1 of the cars I've owned, I've bought expensive and cheap, I found cheap no name ones failed after a few months, the holes that are drilled into them need to be chamfered as the flat edge on the cheap ones causes cracks when they get to hot, all the quality ones I've bought since have had chamfered holes and have been fine

• Like 2

should have added chamfered holes in the disc dont give problems B) 

certain makes have just straight through holes which under heavy braking, wear and tear. Just due to poor finish in the manufacturing process causes them to have raised edges (As mentioned before) which creates stress points.

Had drilled and grooved in my other cars (not the scooby so far) and had no issues with them :D 

Keep us posted as to what you go for, be interesting to see your choice and what your reply is to use etc.

as you can see from everyone plenty of information out there and endless choices!!!!

• 1 year later...

Hi All, 

my front discs need replacing, I have an 03 WRX (not STI) blob impreza, (pictured)

Anyone got some advice on these, drilled and grooved would be great but im unsure on what will fit?

thanks!