Taking the plunge. Legacy

Fla

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting into the world of owning a legacy. I'm looking for a car that's Japanese, estate for the dog and fishing gear, comfortable yet a little fun and can handle poor country roads. After looking the Legacy seemed to be the best option.

By day I drive a work van and at the weekends I have. Mk1 mx5 so between all three I should be covered for every eventuality!!

I'm looking at purchasing this weekend, can I get some tips. I'm going for the 2ltr as the road tax in Ireland is very high. I've a choice of auto and manual, both I have my eye on are the 2004 estates non turbo. Any feedback at all would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Eoghan

Wotcha and welcome - as you are looking this weekend I would suggest browsing the forum for the legacy buying conversations as members may not respond as fast for you

for what you describe the legacy would be ideal - obviously the turbo will be more fun from a power perspective but the NA models still drive lovely - There have been some issues with the bearings failing on diesel models due to misalignment of drive shaft on assembly but the petrol models seem pretty robust

Thanks guys,

I've been lookin through the forum and there's some great info here. I'd love the turbo model but there is so little choice over here. I'm thinking of starting with the basic, then getting addicted and wanting more!! By this time tomorrow I'll have had my first spin in a scoob, granted a tame one but it's a start ;)

Not to mention money saved on petrol... I love my gtb, wouldn't change it for the world, but I genuinely used less petrol in my gx when it had a fuel leak!

Arguably my heavy right foot is a contributing factor to my sub 20mpg

• Like 2

That's true I've have arguments with myself sometimes whilst driving along I'll catch someone up in front and say no point over taking im in no rush. But before I know ut cars in 2nd or 3rd and I'm powering past [emoji3]

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcomes and tips. Well I looked at one Legacy estate 2004 standard petrol 2.0 and I have to say ok the power was grand but the right comfort, the brakes, the control was just what I was looking for. I am converted. As I say I have a 20 year old mx5 with 100km on the clock and it's bullet proof so I think a legacy will compliment this nicely.

Now the tough part. As pickings are slim I debated a jap import but the euro is very weak at the moment. I have my heart set on a 03-07 white estate 2.0 GT. That's the dream car but the reality is this might just be the wrong time value for money wise. Last year I'd get 1.4 dollars to a euro, now I get 1.07.

So do I compromise? An 07 2.0R has come up for 3k euro with high miles. 160,000 miles on the clock but she is clean and looks unamused with a 2 year mot. Should I be concerned about the high miles or at that price is it worth the gamble. It is the R spec so has slightly more poke. It's a trade sale with no warranty though. I'm thinking if the service book is stamped and I can see what's done it might be the car for me until I can import the one I really want. Your thoughts on this purchase would be greatly appreciated guys. Cheers.

From personal experience, I'd say the compromise will cost you more in the long run. Spending 3k on a high mileage car, the miles are only going to go up and you'll never get the money back on it. A gt will never really loose any value and although will have slightly higher running costs, I'm sure you'll think it's worth it for what you really want. Go and test drive the GT, I'm sure you won't look back!

• Like 2

I wouldn't go for a car with 160k. I got my legacy at 87k. I'm on 101k now.

I'd guess at 160k you'd almost certainly need a new Clutch and Dual mass flywheel. - (if its not been done already) A clutch and DMF would cost about £500-800 in the UK. I expect that it may be due a replacement exhaust (again it may have had one), as the Y pipes tend to corrode and rot on legacies, again this would cost about £400-600 in the UK. I'd also think about how often its been serviced and by whom.  Also remember to check under the arches for rust, there's a lip on the upper inside of the arch that is prone to collecting !Removed! and rusting.

I think you should at least look at the GT if you can find a nice example. Or if you can find a 3ltr legacy or outback.

• Like 1

Well the GT is going to be the car outside the door in a year or so but there are so few of them in Ireland that I'll bring a white one in from japan. Though I really appreciate ye're advice guys I took a chance. For the sake of 2k sterling I got the 2.0R. I am now a subaru owner all be it the old man version until I can get the GT with a hitch for the horse box!! I know the photo is bad but it gives you an idea of the car. Looking forward to many years of legacy fun.

post-3973-0-49884000-1426365114_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Cheers widesam. I have the GT I want picked out already!!! It gives me something to work towards, plus in 12 months time I should get my money back on this and be learning more and more about the legacy. For a standard 2 ltr she can move!! ;)

• Like 1

Also, if you're not already on on there, the ukLegacy forum is packed full of info as well as equally nice guys to help you out :). (I'm assuming it's alright it's alright to say this as meets and things are often organised with them?)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Thought I'd update all you guys as ye were a great help last time. I found my GT..!

it took nearly a year but I got an 04 Gt with 89k miles on it. In mint condition inside and out and serviced at main dealers etc. Picked it up for half what they make in the UK so pretty happy. It's only got one issue.  A warped front disc I'm having trouble sourcing discs. 

Can anyone advise where I could by discs for a jap import 04 GT estate. Any help much appreciated. 

• Like 1

Happy days,

What calipers does she have on it 2 or 4 pots at the front?

You'll find that the same year uk model legacy or possibly forester & impreza will more than likely use the same