Rocker cover gasket - WRX.

Floyd9t8

Just a quick one, I am going to replace the rocker cover gasket on my WRX but when looking round to buy the new one I am coming across righthand and lefthand ones. Is there 2 then? Or is there a different reason for having separate ones?

• 5 months later...

do you know which sealant I could use from Halfords there's 4 different kinds but I was wondering which one would be better either 

Loctite 5990 Premium Silicone Copper Gasket Maker/Sealant

or

Loctite 5699 Premium Silicone Grey Gasket Maker/Sealant

or could you guys recommend any sealant I could buy that's not from online

If using new oem gaskets then right sealant is none, just lightly rub them through fingertips with smidge of grease as helps hold in place & bed down to seal. If using old ones or buy cheap tat gasket off eBay then the 5699 would be ok to keep um from weeping ....

• Like 1

I've got the genuine subaru gaskets would I be able to use the 5699 sealant as well to just to make sure it is sealed correctly as its current leak is driving me mad!!!

Also would you recommend using a torque wrench on the bolts as I've heard it is 3.7lbs or just use a normal ratchet until they are snug

thanks in advanced 

I've always used liquid three bond gasket sealer as it doesn't break down with heat and oil constantly being in contact but as long as the stuff you've bought is well rated it should be ok .

As for tightness torqued is always the best solution but my torque wrench didn't go down far enough (10 flbs and above)

so I just gently tightened them in a diagonal sequence (like head bolts) making sure that the surfaces pulled in equally ,be careful not to over tighten as the steel bolts will easily damage the threads in the ally heads . Don't use to much sealer just a light smear as excess sealer can break off and clog oil galleries,hydraulic lifters and the sump oil pick up

If possible leave the oil out over night then refill and start it in the morning (to give the sealer chance to set )

genuine new gaskets won't leak if fitted right & nothing damaged or over tightened .  Ideally you want complete cover gasket set, old gaskets can be used with bit of sealer instead of new when supply/time or money an issue .

oem gaskets to pattern part gaskets are night & day in quality & fit difference. I only use oem as almost 100% eliminates issues so job jobbed first time & for a long time.

• Like 1