Legacy Outback Oil Change 2.5

Looking for views here; I want to change oil and filter on my 05 Outback. The video tutorials here have helped me work out where the filter is (neat!) but I have seen posts which suggest that the engine shouldn't be fired up after the refill without turning over a few times (300 is mentioned...) in order to prime it and protect big ends, etc.

Is this neccesary/helpful? The tutorrials don't mention it. Mine has done 107k so is relatively young. I have also noticed a very slight oil leak, nowhere near the filter area; haven't had the drip pan off yet, but any areas I should check first for possible leaks? It's very minor, never seen a drip on the floor.

This car is just about perfect for me and I want to keep it properly!

Thanks for help

Can't say I could help on the oil change side... I'm sure someone can though!

As for checking for oil leaks, rocker cover gaskets are very common weak points regarding that.

Dry cranking is advised but not essential (i take no responsibility if you try and engine gose pop though) as if your just doing a straight swap all the oil won't have worked it's way out of all the jurnals and oilways, and there should still be a film of oil on the bearings

It's easy enough to pull the crank sensor off and turn the engine over a couple of times though if you want to do it, my mechanic swears by, it so i do it when i do an interim change,

If it's the same layout as the rest of the subaru engines then yes, have you spied it between the alternator and belts just sat on top of the block at 90°

Your supposed to be able to get your hands in to release it but you must have tiny hands, I find taking the two ten mill bolts out of the belt cover and rotating it upon the alternator bolt gives more room but pliers & a screwdriver come in handy for me to hold the clip down then wiggle off

• 2 weeks later...