1995 impreza engine?

Hey I'm new with subaru's just got my first one. I got it 2 days ago and all I have had is problems. The oil was leaking badly. Seen it coming from the sump. Put it to a garage and he is telling me the engine has at some point hasn't had oil and the engine is knackerd. Sump is cover with instant gasket sealer. So need new engine I was told it was a gl 2.0 and had a wrx turbo engine put in. How can I tell if it is the wrx.

All I can see is the ej20 code on the block please help. Please help

Hi mate sorry to hear about the car :( easy way to say if its the turbo engine/WRX. If that's what you are asking would be that the Inter cooler is at the back of the engine under the bonnet scoop and to the left hand side of that below it you should see the turbo. failing that if you can get a picture uploaded of the engine be able to tell a little better :) 

And was it a private sale sold as seen ? 

Sounds like it was sold on quick with known faults :( 

It's not easy to identify where the block has come from as they all use the same case, and it's easy to take a standard 2.0 engine from a non-turbo car and fit it with heads and turbo etc from a turbo car for a quick, cheap fix.

If the engine is out of the car take the heads off and look at the pistons. If they are flat then the bottom end is from a non-turbo and the compression ratio will be too high and it will fail with a turbo. If the pistons have a large scoop cut in them then they are from a turbo car (the cut-out in the pistons is to lower the compression ratio). You still wont be able to say if it's a WRX or STi, but its a start.

• Like 2

Wotcha and welcome Jon - sorry to hear you have some initial problems, is there any chance of some money back from the place you got it?

If not you could look at a replacement engine / engine rebuild or possibly breaking the car to recoup some of the outlay

Thanks for ur help. It's is a turbo so does that mean its a wrx that's wat I have been told sorry if that a stupid question. I spoke to a guy call David that working and api was looking on some of the forms and few people were saying to speak to him. He was saying that I shouldn't buy a refubished engine and just refubish my own engine. Take the oil cap off and steam comes out. Been told the 4th piston is far to hot knackerd. And seems to struggle to start. So do I sort my engine or get a refurbished one? And thanks for the warm welcome loveing the subaru even if it is a drive way ornament.

What Adam was saying is just because it has the turbo on it doesn't mean it is a WRX engine. best way to put it is it could be a Frankenstein engine made up of parts but still using a 2.0l subaru engine. So the only real way would be to take the car apart to find out. As for doing the rebuild of the engine that's great if you can and cheaper too, I'm not that good I would need to either pay for it to be done or pay to have a refurbished one put in. 

Oh and welcome to S.O.C :D

Yea I'm thinking off rebuilding the hole engine. I haven't done a engine before only the other bits like gear boxes and stuff. I help out with a rally team up here and they have offered to help me re build it. Going to strip it's down next weekend. But thanks for ur help ill let you know how it goes.

If you go for a rebuild instead of a replacement you know that you have a good unit back in the car - having a bunch of people to help you is a great way to do it as you will learn all about your engine

If its a real option go for the rebuild - overall it will probably work out more expensive than an unknown second hand unit but you will have something box fresh

Yea I'm thinking off rebuilding the hole engine. I haven't done a engine before only the other bits like gear boxes and stuff. I help out with a rally team up here and they have offered to help me re build it. Going to strip it's down next weekend. But thanks for ur help ill let you know how it goes.

Hey what a result I'm a little jealous truth be told :) mind you I would rather be able to play with the car on a rally track :)

And it does sound like you have the help and backing of people to help with the rebuild. If you want feel free to do a photo documentary/blog on here  as you go, always interesting to see and we can see how it's going  :)

TBH if you are going for a rebuild I would junk the engine you have and look at basing the engine on a closed deck block which is far more durable than the open deck, the easiest way to tell is that a Closed deck block will have crosshatching on the front of the block. They are much more durable and less prone to no4 cylinder getting hot, as has happend to yours.

I know South East Imprezas had some closed deck engines for sale.

• Like 2

Did I miss understand your first question...? Are you looking to identify the exact model of your car? If it's a Japaneese import it may well say GL on the V5 but be a WRX or STi. The way to find out is to read the chassis plate on the passenger side suspension tower and enter the code HERE.

About the engine... Buying a second-hand engine is very much a lottery as you need to strip it down to make sure you are getting what you pay for, and if you are doing that you may as well strip your old engine down and rebuild that.

David from API has a good reputation, but if I may also suggest... give Bip a PM on this forum. His Dad builds Subaru engines and Bip now works for him. It's a new start business but his Dad, Graham, has been building them for years as a hobby and as they work from home the costs will be lower. They are based in Coventry but will come to you, within reason.

Re the Closed deck block suggestion... An Oped-deck block is good for 400bhp, semi-closed for 500bhp and closed-deck for 800+bhp monsters. So unless you are looking for epic power you should be able to keep your old block cases.

• Like 2

Yea sorry Adam didn't really make it clear. I was looking to see wat engine was in the car for a straight swap engine but on futher research I am now just going to sort my engine. Since this is my first subaru I think I will just stick with the open deck Cus 400bhp for my first subaru I don't think wood be to bad. It's has the import sticker on the inside of the drivers door post is there any web site that I cud put the number in to find out any history? As for the blog yea ill do that. Ill start with so pictures at the weekend.

• Like 1

That would be great mate thank you. I do like them posts. It's like watching a child being born ;)

As for finding the history on an import I really couldn't tell you, I've only ever had UK cars :( But hopefully there might be away to get the info without to much hassle

I'm more than happy to bow to greater wisdom. I'm deff not a mechanic, I'll have a go at most things myself the harder jobs usually end up me posting for help or a mechanic fixing my fix lol. I just think I know something or have read it somewhere and resort to searching other forums or google.

You can normally find something on SDIC, nasoic, iwsti or even scabbynet.

I will often be proved wrong or at least half right :D

Re the closed deck if no4 melted on the current deck, why not go closed deck just to be sure?

Sounds a bit like me most of the time I can get the job done after launching my tools across the garden and screaming profanity words at the car. But the engine rebuild I Don't have the tools or the guts to even try :D 

Just remember that power is a drug! You say 400bhp is more than enough for now, but once yo start tuning you always want more. If you spend more now getting a stronger bottom end you can always upgrade the top end and turbo later for more power when you want it.

A closed-deck on it's own will not give any more power, it will just be able to hold more boost without the bore walls deforming. They also have oil squirters under each piston to help with lubrication and these are not found on semi-closed or open deck blocks. On the down side the water circulation is restricted as the water chambers around the bores are solid metal for strength, so budget for better cooling. As they were only built upto the early 1990s they are becomeing hard to find and the cost is very high, and also they were built before the rear thrust cranckshafts were introduced on phase 2 engines (Legacy Gen3 and Impreza version 5) so all are centre thrust. They can be convired by a machine shop if you want to use a stronger rear thrust crank, but again that is extra cost, and if you are looking for super strong it would be silly not to. Doing this will also let you fit an EJ25 crankshaft (all are rear thrust) to stroke the engine out to 2.1 litres (anyone who says it gives 2.2 litres can't do maths!) but you will need adapted pistons too for this as the standard ones will hit the oil squirters.

I would suggest a semi-closed deck block is a better compromise as it gives some extra strength without much of the extra cost. They are all rear thrust from new so no worry there, and they are still in production now so availability is not an issue. They don't have the oil squirters but they still have the open water chambers around the bores for better cooling. Semi-closed deck blocks built after 2010 have thicker bore walls for even more strength and these are sometimes called heavy duty semi-closed deck blocks (available as EJ20 or EJ25). One thing to note is they all have extra breather ports so if you upgrade from an open deck you will need to add a bit more pipe work... A good time to fit an oil catch can! Not a problem with a single turbo, but the extra port in the centre gets in the way on a twin-turbo set up so it will need to be plugged.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry to hear about that Jon, I have a Jap import engine with only 77000 miles on it comes with a TD04 turbo running 290BHP, mint condition no oil leaks, full running order and have guys who will vouch for it on the forum.

• Like 1