Well there's yer problem!

Loz

I've not had my Fozzie long, but since I've had it, it's become clear the clutch wasn't as it should be even though, I had receipt from the previous owner showing it had recently been changed.

After masses of clutch judder &  difficult hill starts, I knew I had to bite the bullet & get the little red bus some professional help. I dropped it off this morning at Foresters Subaru Spares in Bilston and when I came to pick it up this is what they found...

post-4108-0-15415700-1429213427_thumb.jp

A heavily worn & cracked flywheel, It seems the previous garage neglected to change/inspect the the thing when they installed the clutch, no wonder i was having trouble.  :blink:

I also asked them to change the diff & gearbox oil just for my own peace of mind, it was just as well too! The diff oil was okay but the gearbox oil looked like it had never been changed, it was so heavy with metal particles it looked like silver paint when you stirred it, I'm now worried how long the gearbox will last, but we'll just have to see.

The car now drives so much better, the difference in the way the clutch feels is like day & night compared to when I dropped it off!

A big thanks to the guys at FSS, really nice down to earth blokes who clearly know their Foresters, i'll be definitely be using them again in the future. :)

• Like 1

Good news on the flywheel

As for the box I wouldn't worry too much mines 17 and it's only just beginning to snag into 3rd mainly due to me missing gears,

How is your Reverse gear ? They are renowned for being rubbish so the metal could be from that.

i feel sorry for you as you bought your Forester knowing that the clutch was replaced but then this...

cowboy garages are they but how trusted was the seller? was it the previous owner not wanting to spend too much £?

same goes for the so called FSH. it still to the owner what to do, i.e. no extra work only the bare minimum to get the stamp in the book etc

glad it's all fixed thou and you found a good garage, well done

good on you,

• Like 1

Good news on the flywheel

As for the box I wouldn't worry too much mines 17 and it's only just beginning to snag into 3rd mainly due to me missing gears,

How is your Reverse gear ? They are renowned for being rubbish so the metal could be from that.

Cheers for the comments guys. 

Reverse is a little notchy but it's okay & third sometimes needs a little firmer push but theres no crunching, the whole box still feels a little agricultural to me, but I realised today I was comparing it to my previous car, a MK1 MX-5 probably not a fair comparison! I'm sure my worries will disappear once I've got to know the car better.  :)