What to do while the engine is out?

Hi guys.

So my 2008 WRX Hatch snapped a timing belt on Tuesday and has been recovered to a garage. I am expecting a new engine or equivalent level of work to get it back on the road. So engine out is almost a guarantee.

I am sulking about it at the moment but would like to try and find a few small positives in the situation and get a few mods or service items done while the engine is out to save cost later.

The car has 45k on the clock.

I think a clutch might be worth doing. Not sure if I go for an uprated or something else.

Really just after ideas and advice on what to do to make he car better or more reliable after a crappy situation.

Thanks

Alex

--

I make Films and Website for people

Gutted mate, clutch as you say saves doing it later on, apart from that maybe change the ancillary hoses that aren't attached to the block for silicone ones, clean the bay it's self ?

Who's doing the rebuild for you ?

Gutted mate, clutch as you say saves doing it later on, apart from that maybe change the ancillary hoses that aren't attached to the block for silicone ones, clean the bay it's self ?

Who's doing the rebuild for you ?

No one at the moment it is in the local garage to find out what is wrong as I was on my way to Scotland for a job so had to get it recovered the 150 miles home without me.

Is there a good place to get a rebuild done? With a 45k engine would you go for a rebuild or replacement if it came to that.

They can not look at it till Wednesday so haven't really sorted anything till I am home tomorrow.

Yer good time to clean the bay up and check for rust I guess.

Shall add that to the list.

--

Well the garage has had a quick look and say its the timing belt due to a problem with the water pump. So should be covered on the warranty or by the other garage that sold it. 

So I have messaged API and will see what can be done from there.

The local guy says he can do it but I not sure if I should go with him or go with API?

Thanks

Alex

• Like 1

Parts fail, only time there worth doing. It's not a service item.

Oil pumps are similar situation.

Considering more piston lands fail than water pumps should they be done as a service item? lol

• Like 1

Well API are on with getting it stripped just waiting to find out how bad it is and what the cost will be.

So still looking for good upgrades, think a lightened flywheel and excedy clutch will be fitted.

So just after a few power upgrades, not sure what people would recommend I have about £1500 to spend on top of the rebuild so nothing to crazy but be nice to get it back faster than before.

And while the car is in bits I shouldn't have to much extra costs fitting the parts.

I will also be getting a remap and exhaust done once I get the car back.

--

Forged pistons & rods ?

Hay sorry if a silly question are these just stronger or give other advantages?

Thanks

Alex

--

Tbh I am thinking 280-300 but would be nice to get around 350 one day but the cost of that might be to high and never happen.

I am planning exhaust and remap at the moment and I might end up swapping the turbo in the future.

Not sure where the limits of this car are and at what point its worth selling up and getting an sti.

--

You could always speak with api and ask what it would take with a standard build or what it would need to get to 350, while it's all apart would be daft not to if it's not much more

As Im a Mercedes technician my personal opinion would be to take it to a main dealer and see if you can get goodwill gesture from subaru it should bring the cost down and as long as you have full service history and all service items performed at the correct intervals you shouldn't have a problem. As this would be a premature failure which shouldn't of happened

That's a good point. It's already at API in bits so might give subaru a call and see what they have to say what can it hurt.

And as for the mods Stants your right should simply ask API what needs to be done to get around 350 and see what I can afford and what makes sense or simply find the limit of the car and aim for that.

Thanks

Alex

--

Yeah Defo give subaru a call and explain the situation why it's stripped else etc you should be able to get somewhere fingers crossed.

As for mods I would go for a 3 angle valve seat heads. Silicone hoses every where as standard ones start going hard and leak. Arp bolts for crank and head.

Subaru will wash their hands of it, they stated in 2010 that it was the owners fault for tuning, driving them to hard, not servicing them properly etc etc total bollox but saved em millions in remedial work.

2.5 out the box is !Removed!, very common for pistons break the ring lands , head gaskets to fail etc. If it's gone to API they should be well aware of the issues and put none subaru pistons, gasket and head studs in then no more issues down the line with it :)