removing the tow bar

stants

I've started the weight reduction programme (not that it will make a blind bit of difference) it looked poo and was doing my head in. The more i poked around the more i found i could remove. Initally i've just taken the sticky out bit with the ball on, but it looks like the rest of it's bolted onto the rear box section. And not welded is i assumed.

Does anyone know if the bar is bolted on using captive nuts like it looks like ? I don't wanna get half way through removing it and have to resort to cutting it off

I always thought it was welded on but could be wrong. But I agree with you better to take it off I hate to see them. But I do hate caravans so if I see a tow bar I do just automatically think you would be the type of person that gets a plastic glove on before you put any petrol in the car :D

i had a tow bar on my last car, best towbar i've ever seen, you take the neck off with the twist of a knob then the electris unit was on a hinge that tucked under the bumper, the previous owner had it for towing a jetski, it had never towed anything heavier, one of my neighbours has an 800cc Daewoo Matiz, he made his own towbar for it and uses it for pulling a small trailer, not everybody uses them for caravans

just to be clear, i too f**kin hate caravaners too :D

oh and usually the towbars are just bolted to the car, if the bolts aren't visible through the boot floor under the carpets that usually means they are captive nuts on the top side of the bar, if you were closer i'd offer to help you remove it with my air gun, much easier and quicker than a ratchet

Caravans do my head in I live near a bunch of caravan parks so get loads near me :(

Have a toe bar on the van for the trailer so I know there not all caravan related but if its a pride and joy car they do spoil the look for me :)

• Like 1

The chap who i bought it off said it's got a bar on but never been used for towing, shame about the caravan club sticker in the front and the spring spacer/supports for towing a caravan that are fitted.

With the privicy glass and bar i either look a drug dealing caravan enthuisast or i'm having a midlife crisis

post-878-0-32412000-1372749303_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Ouch caravan sticker!!!

I wouldn't have even driven it off with that in it without removing it 1st :D

Well if anyone asks we will all say you are a drug dealer. If its the Police we will go with the midlife crisis. But if she is well fit then you are a caravan enthusiast :D

Miggs, thanks for the offer, i have a compressor and gun but the thought of using it never crossed my mind, maybe i like the punishmet of hard graft more ?

Closer inspection it's in 4 parts, two backets a long cross member thing and the bally bit. To be fair the 1st nuts came off ok with a 2ft long half inch drive bar and a healthy spray of plus gas,

I know once i've removed it i'l miss a golden opportunity to make some money freeing people from the car parks at the festival. Can't wait to waft past everyone stuck haha

• Like 3

theres a tow bar on my forester, was on it when I bought it and its staying there! I agree they are ugly and it partially blocks the number plate but I have a trailer I use to transport scooters and stationary engines n any other junk I find to shift, if it hadn't had one when I bought it I would have fitted one anyway.

stanton500 I really like the look of your car, really nice with the privacy glass, spoiler n side steps etc, very similar look im aiming for when ive finished mine except im not going for side rails, I could really do with a nudge bar for the front but cant afford one

• Like 1

She's currently as i bought her so i'm looking at wheels and a new exhaust at some stage but not essential . the scoop and wing need repainting too but. baby things are taking a precident.

I don't tow anything so it was just a load more weight to be pulling around. plus i have a louton tranny if i need to move anything that wont fit in the car.

the whole unit weighs close to 80kg so it made sense to remove what i could, i've left the hangers on as the back box hanger s bolted onto it .

• Like 1