Mini Cooper S R53 Advice Needed

timmyjk7

My wife is looking for a weekend toy seeing as I have the Impreza and the Imp and she is keen on a R53 Cooper S. Has anyone had experience with one? What should I be looking for and what are the common problems??

Her daily is a 2014 Ibiza FR edition which is 140ish bhp so she wants something as fun but a bit more powerful for the weekends and potential track use.

Thanks

Tim

Can be heavy on fuel, looked into getting one and the forums seem to make it sound like a labour of love with lots of niggles that can cost as they get older. Also heard of diff troubles. Parts can be expensive too

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

One we have found has 142k on clock but appears to have been cared for and looks a steal for £2.6k. As this will only be used occasionaly I was thinking is it worth a punt

• 2 months later...

I quite fancy the new 2 litre Cooper S works.....150mph and an Imrezza chaser  :lol:

The wife is due a change soon! 

I've not seen a new mini cooper keep up with me yet ;) But I'd rather have a fiesta ST personally :D 

I've not seen a new mini cooper keep up with me yet ;) But I'd rather have a fiesta ST personally :D

Not a chance.....build quality is no where near as good....plus, they need to get rid of the embarrassing "ST" lady towel moniker.

The new works S is a very fast little motor.

• Like 1

Heavy on fuel ,weak gearbox, poor radiator design, interior don't stand up to mileage ,high insurance , expensive tyres,apart from that not that quick really and don't handle great, look like fun on paper nightmare to live with, and that's from experience of a 2 yr old low mileage car, it's a heart head car, on this occasion use your head

• Like 1

We have decided not to bother with one as the faults with them are endless and potentially kill me financially! Now looking at a 2000(ish) Audi TT 225 Quattro but one that has had the pixellated dash sorted.

Heavy on fuel ,weak gearbox, poor radiator design, interior don't stand up to mileage ,high insurance , expensive tyres,apart from that not that quick really and don't handle great, look like fun on paper nightmare to live with, and that's from experience of a 2 yr old low mileage car, it's a heart head car, on this occasion use your head

I`m talking about the new 2 litre works S, whatever bad luck you`ve had in the past fair enough but i`ve had 2 from new a 53 and a 59 and they were excellent, even the Chrystler engined supercharged early ones, once the engine had been rebuilt and properly tuned (the yanks don`t have a clue!) by the team at BMW they were brilliant. The 59 was the later, quicker and better engine with turbo and 40 plus MPG.