Expensive Ride home On A Relay Truck !

Nonturbotony

Just got home from a week in Great Yarmouth, Well say got home,not really had to call recovery from boreham services on the A12,after the car stalled on the exit ramp into the services,No warning lights or gauges gave any clue as to what I was about to experience , after 2 or 3 attempts the car started but sounded really sad, a loud clatter from the top of the engine (I think) not too bad on tickover,but a whole new game when trying to drive, I checked the obvious ie water oil etc.all ok, so my next thought was oil filter blocked ? surely Subaru would have equipped the car with a light to warn of such a thing, (my old 1966 Austin 1100 had a oil filter light),however I'm now home from my hols. £350 short due to not having roadside assist, whadda ya think have I done it in ? is this the end!!!!

Just got home from a week in Great Yarmouth, Well say got home,not really had to call recovery from boreham services on the A12,after the car stalled on the exit ramp into the services,No warning lights or gauges gave any clue as to what I was about to experience , after 2 or 3 attempts the car started but sounded really sad, a loud clatter from the top of the engine (I think) not too bad on tickover,but a whole new game when trying to drive, I checked the obvious ie water oil etc.all ok, so my next thought was oil filter blocked ? surely Subaru would have equipped the car with a light to warn of such a thing, (my old 1966 Austin 1100 had a oil filter light),however I'm now home from my hols. £350 short due to not having roadside assist, whadda ya think have I done it in ? is this the end!!!!

was that the AA,robbing b****ds them,i use to be with them with their top package,i had a corsa si at time and head gasket went on m1 near chesterfield,pulled in services took them a hour to come,great said couldnt tow me he didnt have the stuff so called tow truck and went,3 hours later it turned up,drive then told me i was lucky as over 30 mile and they charge you per mile to trailer you home.i said what even with the top package drive said yeah any package and if you had to upgrade you have to do it before they will tow,so if you got no cc with you you basicly screwed,modern day highway men them.

AA wouldn't do it today would you believe ! had to phone 3 more recovery firms before finding 1 that was able to do it , took over 7 hours to get home , we were taken in a support vehicle ( astra estate with amberlights on top ) the car turned up an hour later on the truck.....

Maybe we need to set up a rescue/support service, if you get stuck somewhere post where you are and any local members may be able to provide assistance, even if its a thermos of tea and sarnie whilst waiting for recovery? Seems to work well on landyzone (it was either a scoob or p38 rr, the scoob seemed more sensible)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

What size engine?

worst case.

Bearings, crankshaft, rods , the odd piston and a few valves (12+) and mebbee a camshaft or two ...

best case new shells and and regrind... either way thats the symptoms.. what caused it is the more critical one ..

when was it last serviced?

Re your oil filter, they dont have lights, as they normally have a pressure valve built into the filter.. so if the filter gets blocked, it allows the oil to circulate effectivly bypassing the filter. The downside is any contaminants are then going back into the engine

That said, if its blocked that bad, then the cause is liable to be somthing major

Mart