Forester 2.5XT Rear suspension self levelling?

Good evening. Does anyone know if the suspension on the rear of a Forester 2.5XT is Self Levelling as standard? Or if not, how can you tell? and if it is, can you quite easily swap out the shocks for normal ones or are the springs and mounts different too?

Hello, not sure if they came as standard or you could tick an options list, some of them have an external unit stuck to the shock leg, about the size of a red bull can, best of googling it brings up loads of images.

You can buy a complete replacement kit from pedders inc tops springs & struts or you can buy separate springs and shocks

Mr b is your man on here, have a look in the forester sub section as a member has just changed his for normal shocks/springs, there's a thread with various options and part no's

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

It's got the little canister, so I assume it's got self levelling. The car feels very woolly on the suspension. I know I'm coming from a BMW M-SPort and a Volvo 850R on Eibach into this, but it doesn't fill me with confidence at speed or in corners.

Are those Pedders kits good and does that class as a modification to the vehicle in terms of insurance?

When parked up does it look like a dog scraping it's bum along the floor Or look visibly lower at the back ? If so then it's more than likely shot, I can't remember what the hub to arch clearence should be maybe 660 mm at the rear at least. Could always gently lift the rear of the car buy the arch nd let go see how much it sags, also a reasonable indication

Although mine didn't have sls units my shocks were dead, so I stuck on the pedders lowering kit, dropped by a couple of inches, still enough to be able take it down dirt tracks etc with confidence of not grounding out but the handling and look of the car increased dramatically.

Another good value for money upgrade is to ditch the rear arb as it's useless and go to a 20 or 22mm bar with solid metal droplinks and bin off the crappy plastic ones. Turn in is vastly improved

• Like 1

It looks a little low, not massively lower at the back. But I'm not sure how these cars sit normally, are they slightly nose down? I'd say it's very slightly nose up. Only very slightly though.

Plastic droplinks???? No wonder it feels like mush lol. I think my Sway bar bushes may also be on the way out.

When parked up does it look like a dog scraping it's bum along the floor Or look visibly lower at the back ? If so then it's more than likely shot, I can't remember what the hub to arch clearence should be maybe 660 mm at the rear at least. Could always gently lift the rear of the car buy the arch nd let go see how much it sags, also a reasonable indication

Although mine didn't have sls units my shocks were dead, so I stuck on the pedders lowering kit, dropped by a couple of inches, still enough to be able take it down dirt tracks etc with confidence of not grounding out but the handling and look of the car increased dramatically.

Another good value for money upgrade is to ditch the rear arb as it's useless and go to a 20 or 22mm bar with solid metal droplinks and bin off the crappy plastic ones. Turn in is vastly improved

Your XT will have SLS at it standard on them.

the drop links on the SGs are metal - ball joints both ends.

when suspension good order rear should be higher than front.

rear with weak/failing SLS tends to sag anything between 20 & 50mm

Easy to replace the struts and springs.

KYB excel G are heavier damping than standard & slightly stiffer springs from springcoil.co.uk make a big difference too.

you need new springs to pair with any aftermarket strut as the SLS springs are slightly shorter & softer rating than non SLS.

It not expensive & all parts at moment come to less than £250.

Thread on it linked below>

http://uk.subaruownersclub.com/forums/topic/7216-2005-forester-xt-rear-sls-unit-leaking/

One simple thing to check on handling is tyre pressures as low pressures = awful handling on these, on XT I recommend  3psi over standard pressures.

Difference is night & day between 1 or 2 soft tyres & all setup correct.

• Like 2

Thanks for this, yeah I best check those tyre pressures before forking out on shocks and springs. I'm pretty sure the rear shocks have had it though, car rocks and dives quite a bit on acceleration and braking, and the rear sits ever-so-slightly lower than the front.

I can'can't fault the pedders kit I have on mine, it actually increased the ride height as the rears had collapsed that much [emoji15] if it's a like for like swap I can't see the ins company ramping up the premium

Not a modification really but if concerned, worth telling your insurers & getting response in writing.

Funny lot insurance, drive round on 10year old+ suspension & it fine but spend good money make your vehicle handle better thus safer with new suspension parts & it could be hassle !

Suspension bushes are a bigger concern, things like poly bushes especially castor, anti-lift etc .

• Like 1

Hmm, yeah hadn't though about the Poly thing. I was intending to replace the ARB bushes with poly as it looks like people experience the standard bushes perishing quite regularly?

Not a modification really but if concerned, worth telling your insurers & getting response in writing.

Funny lot insurance, drive round on 10year old+ suspension & it fine but spend good money make your vehicle handle better thus safer with new suspension parts & it could be hassle !

Suspension bushes are a bigger concern, things like poly bushes especially castor, anti-lift etc .

^ insurance vehicle inspectors are a pain in the butt .

most of time minor stuff generally overlooked but in a big accident it can be used as a cop-out by insurers leaving you up 5hit creek, crazy really when just a quality part doing same or better than oem part !

Hey Mr B.

I ordered the bits on your link; the little rubber protection kit is coming up as being for an SG5 model, not an SG9. Just double checking that it's the right part when converting back to standard shocks from self-levelling?

Your XT will have SLS at it standard on them.

the drop links on the SGs are metal - ball joints both ends.

when suspension good order rear should be higher than front.

rear with weak/failing SLS tends to sag anything between 20 & 50mm

Easy to replace the struts and springs.

KYB excel G are heavier damping than standard & slightly stiffer springs from springcoil.co.uk make a big difference too.

you need new springs to pair with any aftermarket strut as the SLS springs are slightly shorter & softer rating than non SLS.

It not expensive & all parts at moment come to less than £250.

Thread on it linked below>

http://uk.subaruownersclub.com/forums/topic/7216-2005-forester-xt-rear-sls-unit-leaking/

One simple thing to check on handling is tyre pressures as low pressures = awful handling on these, on XT I recommend  3psi over standard pressures.

Difference is night & day between 1 or 2 soft tyres & all setup correct.

Hey Mr B.

I ordered the bits on your link; the little rubber protection kit is coming up as being for an SG5 model, not an SG9. Just double checking that it's the right part when converting back to standard shocks from self-levelling?

Only just out the workshop, late one unfortunately, just checked in the KYB catalogue to be sure and 910046 are 100% correct to pair with the struts you will be using. used them myself on SG versions & no problems. On the XT the springcoil custom springs tend be better than the kyb springs .

Thanks. I'll let 'em know. Are the Springcoils MUCH better, I've already ordered the KYB's?

Only just out the workshop, late one unfortunately, just checked in the KYB catalogue to be sure and 910046 are 100% correct to pair with the struts you will be using. used them myself on SG versions & no problems. On the XT the springcoil custom springs tend be better than the kyb springs .

• 2 weeks later...

^^ only 2 source of the SLS tokico struts and that from the main dealer (tokico only made/supplied to subaru) or used from breakers yard. best option for cost is new non sls struts & springs.

Springcoil.co.uk can supply custom springs with progressive rates, heavier rates, lifted or combination which helps for those towing etc. All aftermarket struts are non sls ...

• 2 weeks later...