LOCAL EXPERT NEEDED !

Nonturbotony

Hi to all, just before I consign the Legacy to the scrappy at the weekend, as a last ditch attempt to save it  are there any members local to TN24 that may have a couple of minutes spare to pop round and give me a diagnosis of what the rattle is, and if it's terminal, I would hate to scrap it if it can be fixed for a few quid..................Cheers    Tony

Any chance you could record it and get it on youtube ? 

Is it doing it when the car is running and stationary or just when it moves at slow speed. ? :D

Might be a pulley or something non major. But could be bottom end or diffs :(

You don't say whether you've had a CEL nor if you've had codes read. They might not say anything useful in this case (seems mechanical) but I could maybe come through this afternoon and put my laptop on (Freessm) and see what lurks. Although, 2001 maybe borderline - I used it on my previous OB (2001) and it could show engine codes but not transmisison. I am certainly no expert. You sound like you're looking for a second (third?) opinion confirming fears already formed?

Let me know? Is Op Stack still on, do you know?

• Like 1

yeah op. stack is still on mate,I have a obd reader , but it's not picking anything up, all the pulleys on the front get very hot when it's running , I think it's probably heat transfer through the belts from the crankshaft.........Tony

Hmm. I guess I can't contribute a helluva lot. Stupid questions like "have you checked the oil to see if any metal filings", are all levels OK (incl transmission) have been asked? Gambit asked "when does the noise happen, stationary or moving", and confirm it's auto?

Front diff oil checked? Only really relevant if the noise happens when mobile though. Could a skipped tooth or 2 on the timing belt cause odd noises? (on second thoughts, this would probably result in stored codes).

• Like 1

Sorry Lads, I've sold it on , no space to keep it now I've replaced it, With a Ford, can't pretend I'm not disappointed, but many thanks for all your help and input over the last two months ................Kindest Regards  Tony