Forester 2.0 Boxer Engine Disaster

Barnsley John

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum but I need some advice please.  Last Friday my 2009 Forester D XC went bang on the way to work.  I've had it recovered to a local garage who have had a brief look at it and seem to think it has spun a big end bearing.  The engine runs but knocks and when turned by hand has a tight spot.  There's plenty of oil in and I never got and oil warning light on before it happened.  The car has 117000 miles on it.

One way or the other it's going to be expensive so I'm thinking of locating either a second hand engine or a reconditioned one, can anyone advise me where I can locate one please?

Thanks,  John

Hello, sorry to hear of your problems, give martin a ring at Sheffield subaru services, he may be able to source or know where there is a doner, 01142430099

Or there's grade a subaru spares on eBay they tend to deal with newer models and these guys may be worth a look too

http://www.subaru-spares.co.uk/

Your engine code will be on the vin plate attached to the top of the strut tower in the engine bay

• 1 month later...

Thanks, Found the VIN plate at the base of the N/S B post.  Every bit of data says its an EJ20Z but the VIN plate says it's an EE20Z. 

Anyway the engines out and stripped down to a short block and it's the Crankshaft that has broken on the web

Lots of parts get revised without recall, was indeed known issue but not a big amount of failures & many had 2 or 3 owners & nearing or over 100K by time it popped . One of the reasons I don't buy that gen diesel foresters is they are a big risk . damn shame really .

think safest solution is later gen short block. had quite a few block design changes too .

• 9 months later...

Finally got an engine that's come out of a 65 plate outback with an offside write off... It's been 11 months in the making but I'm now up and running, taxed and tested... Mind you it's cost me an arm and a leg (in fact both arms and legs) and a lot of hard work when your laid on your back outside a lock up with wheel ramps and axle stands... Still a few issues to sort but I'm a proper happy bunny now.

The engine I've bought has only 4,000 miles on the clock so, I'm hoping all the crankshaft issues have been sorted.  But of course it means because I can never get anything like the amount of money back that I've spent on the car with the initial purchace and the replacement engine, I now have to run the car until it's death