2007 outback rear wheel bearings ( new member )

mike08

Hi I have just bought my first Subaru outback, its a 2.5 SE AUTO , great car but a noise from rear of car sounds like a wheel bearing, is this a common problem with the outback or am just unlucky, its only done 69k miles.

What year?

Not cheap for the rear hub unit £100-175 depending on year and engine size..

alterantive is to have the hub rebuilt with new bearings... its about an Hours labour + parts so factor again £100 ex V

Fronts are a news hub and arm -- ouch or just a bearing hub at £111 depending on year

Are you sure its the rears?

mart

I'm yet to own any car be it Subaru, Ford, BMW. And a french car thats not had bearing problems at some stage in it's like just a wear and tear part. Only thing I did have was the hub was chewing the bearing up on the subaru so that became costly :( 

• 3 months later...

What is the sound like when these fail? Do you hear it when driving in a straight line or when going round a roundabout?

Got a bit of a grinding noise I think all round and not sure what it could be. At 78k is it worth me changing all 4 and at what cost would it be at a dealer?

Ta

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, david1972 said:

What is the sound like when these fail? Do you hear it when driving in a straight line or when going round a roundabout?

Got a bit of a grinding noise I think all round and not sure what it could be. At 78k is it worth me changing all 4 and at what cost would it be at a dealer?

Ta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sound is a low rumble / drone usually from about 40mph upwards.   Mine was a front left , it would go quiet when turning left, as the bearing became loaded.

In terms of changing all 4,  NO!, why change them if they aint broke .  If your mechanically minded, and have access to  jacks etc, and a good puller, you could do them yourself.   to determine if its a front L or R bearing which has failed,  find a roundabout which will let you make  left and right hand turns,  drive round the roundabout at speed, and see which way makes the drone / rumble go away , if turning L makes it  silent, its your left bearing and vice versa for the right.   

a good indy garage should be able to do one for a reasonable price,   if i can find my disc, i will give you the book time

Mart

• 5 months later...

mike80,

By any chance have I bought your Outback?   Two months ago I bought an Outback SE automatic from a garage in Banchory, Scotland.  Not too many of them about.  Within 6 weeks front nearside bearing had to be replaced, £475.00 in total at a Subaru garage.  Four weeks later the rear nearside bearing had to be replaced.  I have just, today, come away from my local garage.  The offside rear bearing needs replaced so I told them to replace both offside bearings.  I suspect that Subaru Outbacks DO have a serious wheel bearing problem, a very expensive problem.  Disappointing!

I now have 4 new Subaru wheel bearings fitted but, from cold, can feel a slight wobble in the steering wheel.  It cannot be wheel balance since it disappears after 20 or so miles.  I dread that it might be in the drive gear.  Any thoughts, anyone?

I have been driving a variety of motor vehicles over a period of 50 years.  Never had to replace any wheel bearings.  A sad reflection on Subaru.

On ‎27‎/‎10‎/‎2015 at 10:47 PM, mike08 said:

Hi I have just bought my first Subaru outback, its a 2.5 SE AUTO , great car but a noise from rear of car sounds like a wheel bearing, is this a common problem with the outback or am just unlucky, its only done 69k miles.

Edited by Lenmac
Additional information.

I got my 2 rears replaced for way less than that...got the parts from import car parts and got a local garage to fit them....I got new pads and discs all round and 2 rear hubs replaced for less than £475. Just need to know where to look / go.

Feel free to ask on here in future before going to Subaru...they will have your eyes out

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

Got 2 new front bearings, 2 used driveshafts fitted for around £250-£300ish at impreza breakers in Norfolk, but was for a 2001 legacy.

Got a video where you could clearly hear wheel bearings (both sides had gone!) incase someone wants it to compare with, but can't upload on here :(