High & Low Lever? on Outback AWD

Moss

Hi everyone,   I'm new to the forum; and I have a question about the High & Low Ratios on the Subaru Outback AWD UK Model 2.5 petrol engine.

What is the correct procedure for changing the High & Low Ratios?    On the dashboard clock to the top left of speedo is a small orange coloured LO when the ignition is turned on; the high-low lever is forward (down) towards the dash ..   I've tried when the vehicle is stationary ; and engine running; and clutch pedal depressed all the way to the floor, bringing the lever bak up in to the High position; but there was no change to the orange coloured LO on the top left of speedo.    Should that wee LO change to HI or similar?   or am I not using the lever correctly; or maybe it's not working?

Help and advise appreciated

Regards

Moss

• Like 1

I have this in my impreza RX hatchback 

Clutch down 

Pull leave up, will go so far then will stop, pull abit harder and it will clunk into place 

Light will come on dash 

go drive on steep hills and have fun lol 

and same in reverse to put back to normal gear ratio 

I went to the royal Cornwall show last year was a tad late so  got chucked in a feild which was about a 1mile away and this field was almost vertical, going down was fine as i used the brakes, but when it come to going home cars were struggling to get up the feild ( wheel spinning - burnt out clutches - sliding down the hill ) i put the impreza in low gearing and bam was up the top of the feild with now struggling at all :D 

James 

• Like 1

Fine to change when moving up to about 30mph - one of the big advantages over low ratio on most 'proper' 4x4s where you have to stop to change.

I used to find it incredibly handy for crawling in traffic on my old BG7B Legacy 2.2 - just trickles along in 1st gear without having to slip the clutch.

JimmyMac,

The lever cable has been disconnected on the high and low; just needs the pin replacing.   My Brother had it disconnected because he kept pulling it instead of the handbrake lever.   A simple job to replace the pin just on top of the gear box housing.  I spoke to the fitter that looked after the car.

Try to post some photos of the car >>

22387461737_be24ce7d96_b.jpg

Update..

Re-connected the cable; but it had stretched, so we put a very thin shim behind the lock nut holding the cable at the gearbox end.  PERFECT..   High and Low working just fine.   Not too difficult a job either.

Phoned Main Dealer to price the cable ??   shock horror ; the cable was £128. and fitted would be £200.   saved some money with just a thin alloy shim.

22387452008_c539ff0eb7_o.jpg