How are you guys finding the XV ?

robin61

I think thats the best thing to do mate, I always say a car chooses you, not you choose the car. Like my Impreza not as comfy or as luxuries as some cars I've had or have. But I really enjoy it. From the other guys I've seen a lot of members on here and on our facebook page have had nothing but good things to say about their XV's from from all around the world. Thats without the car journalist reviews that all have seem to be good too. Might be just unfortunate to have a bad one though with a less than average main stealers to deal with. :unsure:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

quick update on my xv

had now 2 years, it's just had its first MOT  with no issues at all

I still love driving the car and it's never missed a beat, it has been great in the bad conditions (heavy rain and snow) and with the new Nokian Weatherproof tyres I have not had any issues and the car has felt very secure and planted on the road apart from when I looked in the rear view mirror the other snowy day and saw an old man in a 64 plate Range rover coming side words towards the back of my car (scary moment for sure) luckily he got it up the banking and missed me.

I totally agree with kvz2000 about the bad gear change especially 1st to 2nd shocking that said that is the only fault and point about the xv I dislike I would deffo consider the auto next time.

I think it's one of things that varies between cars, a bit like clutch judder, mine is barely noticeable, wife's is a little more obvious, but drove a courtesy XV with 5000 on the clock and it juddered so much it was almost undrivable.

I'll be honest my car is much better between 1st and 2nd than others I've driven. My wife's is very smooth between the 1st two.

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

It's a bit like they're hand made! I've been pretty lucky with clutch judder and gear change. Neither are a problem to me. But then I used to drive a 1966 Landrover LWB with no syncro in 1st and 2nd so I tend to double clutch down gears which really smooths it out a lot. 1st - 2nd gear change can be improved if you hold a little bit of revs on between shifts so the revs do t drop too low. This allows the revs to drop down to the gearbox speed rather than up to the gearbox speed where you'll get a little bit of engine brake. Might be worth a try changing driving style? I did motor racing so this is pretty natural to me now but it's a bit of practice needed if you're not used to it.

But even blipping the throttle coming down the gears to match engine and gearbox seems to smooth things out, probably saved a little wear on the clutch too if you do it right.

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Hey everyone, I'm going to look at an XV tomorrow, 2013 plate, diesel SE with 29,000 miles on the clock. Just had its first MOT.
(we are going to trade in the girlfriends 307) Reading everyones reviews it sounds like they should all be good with the exception of possibly one lemon?!

It has a detatchable towbar, and we will be using it to tow our 1100kg Caravan put the dog in, and head to the mountains in the winter (essentially everything the Forester does at the moment, but in a bit more comfort)

I see some talk about clunky change from 1st to 2nd? or is it down 2nd to first? (The SG Forester I have is bad going down 2nd to 1st so thats not an issue if its the same) and some talk about clutch judder? Is there anything else i should be looking out for?

They are asking £13,800 for it, but i'm hoping i can get it down a little.

I look forward to joining you as an owner soon!

you will love it :-)

yes 1st to 2nd is notchy but you will live with it lol

mine is 13 plate and I still love to drive it, great grip, great in winter and summer

no issues with clutch on mine

great economy and performance, if you take it real easy you can do 55mpg

I did a 600 mile trip last Monday, got stuck in a 12 mile tail back on A1 after crash 2 hours, had my aircon on for at least 500 mile, 4 people in car and returned 46 mpg happy days

what's not to like :-) lol

• Like 1

Well we picked up our XV on Saturday :biggrin: its so nice to have a car that sounds so solid. Its definately the no frills model, but i'm not that concerned. With 29,000 miles on the clock it has been serviced appropriately, so everything should be good for many more years. I'll hopefully get some pictures up soon. Will have to change my profile picture to show my 2 Subaru's side by side, as I was supprised to see that the XV is actually almost the same size as my SG Forester, it looked so much smaller next to the new Foresters in the Garage.
Anyway, I'm happy to be part of your gang now. I expect you will all be answering some silly questions from me soon!

You shouldn't have any real problems but you can expect to get new tyres and brakes at around 50k. Shouldn't need anything much earlier than that.

The XV is a bit of a tardis seems to carry a load of stuff. Did you get the rear bumper top protector, if you haven't it's worth getting one because they're prone to getting scratched there when loading etc.