How are you guys finding the XV ?

robin61

I looked into my nearest Subaru dealer today. Really to have a look at the Outback or Legacy. Maybe even a Forester. However the XV looked nice and a bit bigger than I had thought it would be and I was thinking that actually this may be an option. I would be really interested to find out how you guys are finding them in terms of durability, reliability, comfort etc. Thanks

Had mine for 6 months, and covered just over 3K miles (not my only car!). Car is running perfectly, with no real issues (groaning door mirror on nearside is about all), but the paint is very soft, and had to get it repaired by chip man already. As mine is petrol with CVT autobox, the performance is as expected - slow take off, but then power comes in big style, and off you go (I have a heavy right foot), and manual overide paddles are great to use.

Only drawback is the optional get you home spare wheel is huge, and takes up a lot of boot space (if buying new, you have to order spare, as boot floor is factory modification, but after market spare fits OK, just not secured by factory fixture).

Have a long test drive (my dealer in Worksop was happy if I had driven it until the full tank ran dry!), as it can be noisy/jittery on poor tarmac roads, at normal speeds - but is great off road at slower speeds.

Just waiting to try it out in the snow!

Just remembered - if you are thinking of towing a caravan, there is a low weight limit, and only suitable for towing light 2 berths, like a Sprite Alpine or Bailey Ranger.

• Like 1

Thanks. I am pleased you are happy with it.

I think I would also go with a spare wheel. Those cans of gue are not much good and in the past I have been caught out with what would have been 20 minutes changing the wheel becoming a 5 hour recovery ! What a pain. I assume the spare wheel kind of raises the floor level in the boot ? Still probably worth the sacrifice.

I love my XV. It proved to be completely reliable (so far!), love the four wheel drive which means it has refused to get stuck wherever I've taken it which, although not serious off road, it has been trough some very muddy tracks and across fields etc.

I have the 2 litre petrol with manual transmission, it is 148 horses but can still lack a bit of low down grunt for overtaking so would not advise the 1600 and would probably go for a diesel if I purchase another one.

The ride is comfortable enough for all day driving but maybe not up to some of its rivals - this maybe the compromise of having a vehicle with genuine off road ability.

I love the looks and the fact that it is a fairly rare vehicle on UK roads. In my opinion it is in a class of its own - a Qashqai, Rav 4, Kuga etc. will not give you the off road ability of the XV and you would have to pay a lot more along with higher running cost for a Freelander, X-trail, Shogun etc.

• Like 1

I have a 2013 XV 2.0 SE. Love the car, it's quick for the vehicle type, fuel efficient and handles well. I use mine for work and drive down tracks a lot and it's never let me down. I've even had a wheel well clear of the floor and it's still pulled up hill. I don't have a spare wheel as I figured that the cost of the option verses the cost of a new tyre sort of wasn't worth it. You'd have to try pretty hard to puncture the tyres.

• Like 1

I have a 2013 XV 2.0 SE. Love the car, it's quick for the vehicle type, fuel efficient and handles well. I use mine for work and drive down tracks a lot and it's never let me down. I've even had a wheel well clear of the floor and it's still pulled up hill. I don't have a spare wheel as I figured that the cost of the option verses the cost of a new tyre sort of wasn't worth it. You'd have to try pretty hard to puncture the tyres.

Sounds good out of interest what kind of MPG are you getting ?

whole car looks proper silver in that shot.

How durable are you finding the paint, had a few owners of newer cars complaining about easy chipping & scratching but that a big issue on a lot of newer vehicles with modern paints.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I picked up mine in June 2014 and its a 2.0 Sport Gasoline with CVT. Swedish configuration cause im a swede. :)

Think its a great car. Robust and austere. It doesnt claim to be premium which I find liberating i these days when most every car manufacturer på Premium on anything.

And it has a certain stance and integrity.

I was a bit worried that that luggage compartment would be to small but i works. Specially as I installed a metal cargo divider(?) so I can load the luggage from bottom to roof.

Any how. One thing that annoys me is that the front rubber floor mats dont have any fastening system so the slide around on the floor. Grrrr. I bought a after market solution, but it didnt work in the long run.

It is sensitive to hard wind i think. Specially in winter with icy roads and with studded winter tyres I must micro compensate the steering continuously. On long stretches that is really brain consuming.

On every day basis it consumes 8-9 L/100km.

Yes the stiff suspension can make it prone to gusts up of cross wind as there's no give in the body roll.

I haven't had a problem with mats I must admit, mine are the cloth matts and are secured down. I use a rubber Matt over the top.

I also like the fact that it feels a bit rugged and doesn't claim to be the height of luxury.

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

Hello, -

New here today -

Well....about 3 weeks ago I thought I may buy an old Forester for putting the dog in the back etc -

Then - after looking on Auto-trader etc. thoughts turned to an Outback, a bit newer....

Then - started to look at XV ,(and read the reviews on here),  looked and drove a couple at dealers.

Today - Phoned a main dealer (not local) an hour before they went to the pub ! to put a deposit on 64 plate ex demo CVT Premium.

I shall keep you posted and hopefully glean info from you.

Well firstly, welcome to the XV part of the Forum. I have a 2.0D SE myself in white.

Secondly, good to hear you've taken the plunge. What colour did you get? If you can stretch to the extra £80, I'd get the plastic trim that protects the top of the rear bumper because it's prone to getting badly scratched otherwise. The dealer can fit it in an hour.

The CVT is supposed to be a good set up, although not driven one myself as I went for a diesel because I do a lot of distance driving.

You'll have to post up some photos when you get it.

Nice little Christmas Present that

DC

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again,

I collected the XV last weekend, and drove the 100 miles home in torrential rain and brilliant sunshine.

All went ok. The other half is struggling a bit getting to like it, as it doesn't have some of the 'luxuries' she was used to in previous German cars, but she is warming. We have kept the BMW anyway, but sold her Mercedes to give way for this. Its main purpose is to put the dogs in the back etc etc , and be reliable and functional..

On another note...and this may surprise you, the best price offered for the Mercedes B class was by We Buy any car. I know everyone says the price they quote is ficticious and they will knock you down etc, but if you are

accurate with your assessment they shouldn't have a reason to. Their quote was £1150 more than trade in and only about £500 less than I would have put it in for a private sale. (and a major service was due, and only 4 months MOT).

I shall keep you posted on the XV......did they say snow was forecast today???