Problem with the Alarm on my Legacy today.

Decided to go for a drive in the Legacy this afternoon.

The Key Fob would not disarm the Alarm. She is due a new Battery which I have ready to fit so I thought that the Battery had expired.

I opened the drivers door with the key then the Alarm triggered, pressed the key Fob and the Alarm Disarmed no problem.

The engine fired up straight away so that ruled out the car Battery being the problem.

The Key fob disarmed the alarm so that seems OK too. Possibly a glitch I thought.

Went for a nice drive out in the Country and parked up.

Upon returning to the Legacy the key fob disarmed the alarm as it should so happy days again, we drove home.

When home I tried to set the alarm with the Key Fob and the alarm made a beep - beep - beep noise which would not stop.

I tried every door and the bonnet to make sure they were closed properly and tried again.

The beeping noise will not stop and it is as if something is triggering the alarm such as an open door.

The key fobs have just one button to Lock and Unlock. I have also seen some fobs with two separate buttons on google.

I tried both key Fob Remotes.

I tried holding down the bonnet switch then setting the alarm.

Whatever I try the beep - beep - beep sounds so I have just locked her with the key.

I will try again sometime tomorrow during the daylight ( and probably heavy rain ).

Has anyone had this problem before and if so what did you do to correct it please?

Thanks

This Sigma alarm !

they can be bit funny and do odd things when car Battery voltage goes bit low. by default they should give a light burst of chirps when turn on ignition & Battery voltage is a bit low as a warning feature but sometimes they just erratic in behaviour.

common one for beeps on arming is doors, bonnet & boot being usual culprit .

Also on the sigma when the inbuilt rechargeable pp3 in the siren goes bad it can cause constant beeps (can be replaced)

First thing I would do is get your car Battery done to rule that out as yours sounds a bit erratic & check all door bonnet boot switches/wiring for obvious issues.

Thanks for the replies.

The bonnet and door plungers do not seem to be damaged.

How do we access the siren with PP3 Battery fitted?

Is it a rechargeable PP3 Battery?

Is it possible to reset the alarm system using the Keypad or maybe run a diagnostic to see which sensor is faulty?

I have the code for the Keypad ( hope its the right one )...

Thanks

pp3 in siren are NiCD rechargeable but do degrade & also moisture can cause contact issues as well.

Siren has 2 screws in it, seems you reported fact car Battery bit suspect I would fit that first then evaluate alarm, your problems have been varied faults such as not unlocking which not pointing to door switches.

pp3 is something to consider though & mentioned as easily over looked & does cause issues such as bleeping & indicators not flashing & others.

I've seen M30 do quite odd things with car Battery faults so if lucky that your issue.

link to M30 manual below that has some test mode info

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7Ub2apq5-pfcjJhSm5XUHNyUzQ/view?usp=sharing

• Like 1

Yes it tucked away in engine bay in bulkhead slightly to n/s.

I'm not sure if the main module of the m30 has a small piezo speaker too as the quieter chirp you get with low Battery voltage does not sound like main siren but I believe it to be, either would sound dash area slightly to passenger side.

I had a 2004 forester in few weeks ago during colder snap we had, owner told me they had air bag fault & airbag light staying on. & buzzer going. thought odd as no buzzer linked to airbag self diagnostic, turned out be m30 alarm chirping when turned key as main car Battery had dying cell & voltage dropping low & chirp went off in time with airbag light startup check of couple seconds.

Really can play up with iffy Battery, mainly car Battery but siren backup pp3 too sometimes ...

Yes it tucked away in engine bay in bulkhead slightly to n/s.

I'm not sure if the main module of the m30 has a small piezo speaker too as the quieter chirp you get with low battery voltage does not sound like main siren but I believe it to be, either would sound dash area slightly to passenger side.

I had a 2004 forester in few weeks ago during colder snap we had, owner told me they had air bag fault & airbag light staying on. & buzzer going. thought odd as no buzzer linked to airbag self diagnostic, turned out be m30 alarm chirping when turned key as main car battery had dying cell & voltage dropping low & chirp went off in time with airbag light startup check of couple seconds.

Really can play up with iffy battery, mainly car battery but siren backup pp3 too sometimes ...

Mr B

Me again and again with question about siren - how big are these? My reason for asking is I've just spent 3 hours taking the glove box, passenger side kick panel, centre console apart trying to find the siren without joy. All I found was a Sigma 30 black plastic box (control module I think) fastened to a frame attached to the blower motor. I tried tracing the leads marked siren but got lost when the wires disappeared into the dash further/into a loom).Is it possible the horn would be tucked below the cowl panel (plastic section across the car, below the widnscreen and in which the wiper motor/linkages sit?

Looks like it will be weekend before I get chance to look at my Legacy Alarm. Just too busy at the moment.

At least the weather looks to be improving.

Please let us know how you get on with sorting out your alarm Greenmamba.

Feedback. I removed the cowl panel and there was the speaker! Removed it, battled like !Removed! to open it, screws holding it together seriously rusted, eventually drilled them out, accessed the Battery, tested 9v but amp test, poor compared to the new one I bought to install. Swopped over, closed up the speaker with silicon and cable ties (couldn't replace screws, my drilling had messed up the holes). Got a spook when the siren sounded full blast - tried the remote, no joy. Eventual[y realised the main car Battery was still disconnected, re-connected that and all good. I've made 3 trips so far and all quiet. Hoping it stays that way.

Glad to hear that you have sorted your alarm Greenmamba.

The fault with my legacy alarm, after much testing and fiddling turned out to be the Drivers Side Bonnet Switch.

Somehow managed to get my 15 year old away from his Xbox to help out this morning.

He owed me one after I took him and his friend to the cinemas to watch  Mockingjay part 2 last night.

I tried messing around with the switches the other day between the rain storms but it didn't seem to make any difference.

Had a look at the siren box first but didn't take it out.  I noticed that the area around the siren box is a potential rust trap and was full of rotting leaves and other debris so that got a good cleaning out.

Will wait and see whether I need a new switch in the near future but the alarm set correctly and has been fine up to now.

Thanks everyone.