Xv 2ltr turbo diesel oil change

Lomax80

Book says 0/30 oil. 5/30 can be used to top up. Told by garage they,d used 5/30 . When querying it i was told they had checked with Subaru and that it was good and probably better than 0/30. Am told the 0/30 was because of the hotter running turbo. Have a forth year warranty taken out, could this possibly compromise on its cover?.

I wouldn't worry too much- most vehicles have 2 or 3 recommended oil weights and the odds of it causing a problem and the garage checking/ testing the exact spec used in the event of a warranty claim is slim

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

I also have s 2.0D XV and To be honest I just bough half a litre that I keep in the boot from the dealer. Not sure what it is, I'd have to check. But if you get it from whoever does your servicing and use that then if there is a problem you can at least go back to the servicer and question their use of that oil.

Don't know, but you have to assume that the service at a main dealer will use a suitable oil, otherwise Subaru would have something to say. If you're in any doubt then go with what the book says. I just bought half a litre of what the dealership have been using.

The key thing about oil is the second number, this is the minimum viscosity at 100 deg C, the 1st number is its maximum viscosity when cold, this helps cold starting.

So 0 is for cold starting, 30 is minimum viscosity for hot running. From what I know the 0 or 5 isn't a big deal but putting 0/20 in for example would mean your oil would get too runny and that could cause problems for the turbo. Using 0 or 5 should be fine as long as you let your engine warm up before giving it some beans which I'm sure you do anyway.