First Time Subaru Owner in Scotland - 01 Forester STi

mdy6246

I've just recently purchased my first Subaru and thought I'd make my way around the various boards and chime in with a quick hello, showing off the ol' boy in the process.

Looking forward to contributing and using the forum.

Cheers!

post-5529-0-10712100-1450912697_thumb.jp

post-5529-0-79141100-1450912703_thumb.jp

post-5529-0-86619400-1450912711_thumb.jp

It is an auto, and it's my first, so it's taking a little getting used to. I find that the accelerator has a three stage process:

Lightly depressed: Gets moving but leisurely.

Moderately depressed: Car picks up pace but without the need of the turbo.

Foot to the door: A second delay as the car kicks down then it just takes off.

It's a little hard to regulate to a gradual build up of speed (rather than a sudden burst of chaos) to be honest but I'm getting used to it. The car has had an Ecutek remap which has taken it up to 285bhp (approx) and there's very little, to no, turbo lag whatsoever, other than the initial kickdown of the auto box. This is especially apparent when driving at motorway speeds and going to overtake! I've never experienced something so fridge-shaped carve its way through the air like it does.

I've found that the car is best when taking it slow and steady, mainly so I can enjoy the glances from people passing it in the street and them wondering what it is. 

The car was advertised at £6500 from a local Subaru Garage. I paid £4500 after trading in my old car (immaculate 04 Toyota Celica VVTL-i with 60k), them waiving/paying the Credit Card fee, as well as 6 months warranty and 6 months Tax. Do you think I got an all right deal or did I overpay?

Sounds a decent deal to me...you can't get them for less than that price anywhere, never mind from a scooby garage. How many miles does it have on?

Have you had it long enough to measure your mpg yet?

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

It's got 55k on it and it's pristine. All the documentation is there, albeit in Japanese. I thought the same about the price. I done my research before buying and I saw others with similar mileage for around the original asking price.

I've not worked out the mpg's, as I've yet to have a week where I've not had the figures skewed by taking it for a spirited drive the long way home. I reckon it's in the low 20's at the moment though, probably 23/24.

What do you average in the Outback?

26 across the year but about 24 in the winter months, so you're doing fine. You need to enjoy your spirited driving as that's why we buy these cars. Your mpg won't suffer too much as long as you aren't ragging it 24/7 [emoji14]. I can get 30-31 on longer runs as most of my driving is journeys of 20 miles or less.

I trust you are running it on Shell v-power or Tesco momentum super unleaded?

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

My journeys are normally fairly short with the occasional B-road blast here and there. I'm sure the novelty will wear off...eventually.

I'm currently running it on Sainsburys Super unleaded which people either like or dislike. So far I've found it to be fine, although i've not tried the others.