Diesel Engine Failure

I thought that the engine was getting noisier and took it to my local Subaru dealer who agreed that there was a knocking from within the engine. He stripped the engine and when he had taken the two halves of the core apart he discovered that the Shell or bearing(?) that holds one end of the crankshaft fell into two pieces - the outer flange broke off. The crankshaft has some minor scratches. The knocking was probably the crankshaft moving along its axis very slightly?

Subaru have currently said that they will not supply a new crankshaft etc and that I have to buy a new short motor at £4500.

I have been referred to API Engines who sound like they know what they are doing and they have said that they can rebuild it and moreover that 2008 diesels had a manufacturing alignment problem which Subaru are not owning up to. I have asked Subaru for a contribution but they have refused me (for impossible to trace reasons the early service history is not complete even though the car was run by a dealer for the first 8 months of its life). It is clearly out of warranty but I wouldlike to know why the parts are not available.

By the sound's of it. It's what is known as... Big End Bearing!..... I'm in no mean's a mechanic but that's what sound's like has gone to me. Your welcome to google more detail's on this. Or I can link you to some place's.

As for where you stand, I would not like to say :( Seem's to be luck of the draw but a commen falt with any boxer engine. not just Subaru.

But would like to keep updated on this please. And I'm happy to help in anyway I can

• 2 years later...