Legacy TT's in a impreza

IOWoc

Hi all

just been running some ideas through my head and I was wondering, has anyone successfully installed
the legacy twin turbo set up into an Impreza running a EJ20 lump?

I have had a look on here and I know I would need the ECU, hose's etc

I just wondered if it has been done or has anyone looked into it and could share their findings with me :)

thanks in advance Ollie

I did think about running a legacy bi turbo set up but the over complicated nature of the vacuum system used in legacys to run a primary (small turbo) and a secondary (bigger turbo) put me off. Hence why most big power legacy builds normally convert to single or twin scroll turbos [emoji6]

I did consider getting a exhaust manifold made up to run 2 hybrid tdo4's .As I'd imagine having 2 turbos the same size would simplify the vacuum but the cost of getting both exhaust and inlet manifold modifications made that impractical for me ....

Well I still like the twin hybrid tdo4 idea but it will never happen until I at least get another car for a daily driver and promote the scoob to a (summer time only) second car [emoji39]

If it's not broke .....upgrade it 😊

Thanks for the quick reply savage,

i was playing with an idea very similar to your td04 idea, on the wee island i live top end power really isnt much use,
so im planning on taking a acceleration over top speed approach when i start building.

so i was thinking a set up like this to minimise turbo lag coupled with a complimenting tune would work wonders.

still umm-ing and arrh-ing over 6spd swap or close ratio box :S

this will all be mated up to a bottom up built cdb running 2.1 stroker kit and other supporting mods

cheers Ollie

It has Crossed my mind Stants believe me, the plan is buy a UK2000 do a few bolt on's and map - then enjoy car as is

in the mean time il be starting a full engine build as mentioned - would the H6 be more expensive to pick up? i was planning on buying a cdb bottom end and build it up from there to spread the cost

is the H6 N/A as standard? any known problems/issue in doing this swap?

Ollie

o savage now look what your have done.. i have to go change now haha

yes i did come across this when i was searching the forum, and it does look mighty fine!!

looks like iv got alot more research today now before i can make my mind up

thanks guys!

Dont do it! Lol :no:.  Sav is right, serious Leggy owners swap to a single T.   They are fine when running spot on and easy make 300 bhp but are a headache when they dont run right.

H6 with supercharger seem to be a way to go but can prove very tricky to set up.

If me Id just stick with a EJ20 with a VF35, FMIC, Map etc 340 bhp with a nice spool, bang bang bang through the gears :smoke:

• Like 1

thanks for you input jeff its always good to hear both sides of the story

i really want to do something a little bit different with this hence the twin turbo EJ idea

what i essentially want to build is a road going sprint/hill climb car

i want to keep the car on the road for as much for it as possible hence building the engine in my workshop till its ready to drop in and go.

iv got another 6.5 hrs of a 12hr shift so some more google and head scratching to do.

any other ideas guys? the more the merrier haha

Ollie

Just about anything is possible so it really depends on your budget or fabrication skills.

As Geoff said a vf 35 or tdo5 18 g billet would hit 350hp + with quick spool . I'd be tempted to fit either of those to your 2.1 ,get it run in and then mapped with anti lag first .

At least you'd have a fast road car for the time being while you save up for drive train and bigger/different turbo .

You might even decide to stick at 350hp .... cos as I've found out ,that's plenty of power in a lightweight classic to see most things disappear from the rear view mirror [emoji6]

• Like 1

i bet that thing is crazy!!

yer im just sat scanning forums as we speak, im an electrical engineer by trade so that black magic i can deal with lol

i don’t know if i could face loosing that scoobie burble! iv seen a couple of vids with impreza's packing 2jz's! thats cool if you like tyre smoke lol

i just love the idea of a built EJ 2.1 stroker with twin fog light mounted td04s or equivalent, meth ect

If sparks is your forte how about running avcs heads , as they're supposed to help with spool .

Mine is slightly quicker than my mates 2.1 with a tdo5 18g and short ratio box .

He's running 375 hp think I'm running about 340hp but the custom inlet and shorter fmic pipework seems to help with spool .

Even with twin turbo's I think I'd have to have 1 downpipe (rather than a y pipe) as I would want it unequal to keep the burble

AVCS head are a new thing to me savage ( googling as we speak ) what can you tell me about the benifits? work involved?

the shorter intake? is this part of you intake reversal iv seen a few guys doing on here?

and yer too would have to do it with a single downpipe

cheers again

looks like a good idea savage! apparently the newer STI's have the AVCS on the intake and exhaust so ++

i did see talk of needing a Syvecs ecu to run them, iv always planned on going to a alcatek ECU so im gunna have to look into
the suitibility of that, and how much is involved in mating it up to a cdb bottom end.

slowly getting my plan together haha

Some newage jdm sti's have big port heads with posibily over sized valves as well .

You can mechanically fit any 2ltr heads to a 2ltr ,2.2ltr and 2.5 ltr bottom ends. once you know the piston bowl and head chamber size to work out the headgasket thickness needed to equal the 8.5.1 compression ratio .

It's the , auxiliaries ,sensors and loom that I couldn't be bothered to modify . you can buy phase adapters to make different phase inlets fit different heads on classics but I didn't research if you can convert classic inlets to newage heads .

As using a classic inlet of the same phase as the car makes the auxiliary ,sensor and loom work simples 😉

If your going 2.1 you'll obviously need to get "stroker" pistons or rods . As the longer throw on the 2.5 ltr crank in a 2ltr block ,will make standard pistons and rods stick out of the deck face about 2mm too far .

• Like 1