2.0 RX upgrade advice?

will a KnN air filter make a difference?

hoping to get a bit more noise and more poke at lower revs, untill you get to 3-4k there is no pull whatsoever. 

handling is most important for me didnt buy this car for straight speed so if i can improve cornering speed that would be great

had a 1.2 8v clio before this so open to all advice. 

thanks

Unfortunately the non- turbos don't have much scope for power increase, but a drop-in air filter is one engine mod i'd recommend! I have a pro-r foam filter in my '07 rsport and it does improve throttle response a little (I try to avoid K&N as i've heard stories of the oil on them causing havoc with the MAF sensor)

As far as suspension goes, you can make them handle just like their snail powered cousins! Common suspension mods are performance springs/coilovers, antiroll bars and bushes... Can't say for the '07-> models but i've fitted some prodrive springs to mine and it made such a difference!

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

thanks for replying,  ill take a look for one of them air filters. 

http://www.scoobyparts.com/suspension/strut-braces/m2-hatch-saloon-front-strut-brace     had a quick search for reviews some saying it improves cornering and stability alot and one that said it makes the back end slide out.   

http://www.scoobyparts.com/sti-style-lip-front-spoiler-08-10-hatchback       been looking for one of these, is there any benifit aside from looks?

What's the height like for speed bumps? Got some pretty nasty ones about that come pretty close already. 

Did you get much body roll before? I haven't really noticed much atall unless I fly round a tight corner and even then it doesn't move much . Though I'm comparing it to the Clio I had and the vans I drive which roll a lot

My RX hatch is fairly high off the ground but it corners fairly well for a car with standard suspension. 

Uprated lowering springs will always offer better cornering and drivability so is fully worth the money :) 

James 

ok cheers ill bear it in mind

can anyone shed some light on these please, looking at the pro r filter, is there a difference between that and the pipercross?  pro r gives no measurements 

http://pro-r.co.uk/products?filter[brand][0]=6&filter[brand][1]=1&filter[model_year][0]=&filter[order]=0&filter[per_page]=5&page=2

http://www.thepipercrossshop.co.uk/pipercross-rectangle-performance-panel-filter-length-220mm-x-width-218mm-pp1577_p22540506.htm

thanks

either of those filters is fine - just fitted a K&N - doesn't have oil on or come with oil in box for this model - Other K&N's I have had did come with oil though.

The RX does roll more than the STi I had - It improved with new tyres (HL rated) and also with the spacers, I will be considering the strut race just to make make a square out of the front end and firm it all up as a structure

The lowering springs pictured in the other thread do give a nice amount of drop.

Not sure the front spoiler addon will fit the RX due to shape of bottom of valence, but if you have bad speed bumps locally it may not stay attached for too long

• Like 1

Has the k&n made any difference or change of noise? Mpg or throttle response? Even if slightly 

for now I think I'll pass on the lowering see what the braces do when I find the right ones. If I caught the underside on a speed bump I would probably get upset and there wouldn't be a speed bump there anymore lol 

was as going to change tyres, came with ovation winter tyres XL but have decent tread on and the grip is surprisingly good considering budget winter tyres. Haven't slipped once 

might be placebo affect but throttle response feels slightly smoother (teh filter I replaced was quite black as well though) - I am expecting improvements when I replace the exhaust for a freer flowing alternative then get it tuned to match the intake and exhaust changes - wont be huge mpg or acceleration to be gained but looking for optimum NA performance without manufacturers risk tolerances for rubbish fuel etc (eg this engine has to perform in all conditions on all continents)

• Like 1

Ok cool I'll get a filter ordered just gotta pick between pro r and k&n. 

Had a look for exhaust but all the parts I can find are for wrx and sti not alota info on standard models.  Same with suspension or braces etc

thanks for the help I appreciate it

I will be going to Cobra sport as I want a full stainless option with a little more noise than standard, they come up less cost building a bespoke system than something like the Blitz or Hayward and Scott (If I find the link for the original system I wanted ill post it but Im sure it was close on 1k) - If I remember correctly they sorted Stants out ok when he needed something for his Foz

• Like 1

ill take a look cheers. just think it needs a bit of a growl to it and a bit more low end pull. 

ill send some emails out and see what some of the sites say about fitment or other parts. 

• Like 1

Nice looks easy to change aswell, haven't had much Experiance with working on cars though pretty sure that's obvious lol but keen to get started. What was it like before you removed the mid silencer?  How loud is it? Drive to London in it so 4 hours on a motorway love a good noise but don't wanna go overkill

8 hours ago, Jamie_uk said:

Nice looks easy to change aswell, haven't had much Experiance with working on cars though pretty sure that's obvious lol but keen to get started. What was it like before you removed the mid silencer?  How loud is it? Drive to London in it so 4 hours on a motorway love a good noise but don't wanna go overkill

You won't notice much noise if you just swap the back box which is what I originally did. But with this exhaust and also removing the mid silencer you get a nice loud noise. It's not too loud that it gets annoying but it turns some heads when you drive past. I does look really nice on the car and makes it sound more like a subaru. I will try add some pictures when I can. 

• Like 2