2006 2.5 outback

Martin Gillespie

Going to look at a 2006 Outback , sold as seen from a dealer 1600 euros 

Looks clean , leather auto sunroof ect 116.000 miles on the clock.

Bad points , rear door lock not working

Slight damage to front wing and headlamp unit , pumped not cracked ,should be a body shop job .

I was told it drives fine no problems .

What should I look for as it has no test?

Rear door lock - is this back passenger door or tailgate? If the latter, the linkage from the exterior handle and the "return spring" tend to rust, the handle doesn't return when released but if one checks each time that the handle is manually returned to where the spring would take it, may cure what seems to be a non-working lock. Mine has been like that for ages, I just got used to it (tried stripping the lock apart, too tricky to get out so gave up!).

Otherwise, 2.5 n/a (ie non-turbo) motors from certain years have had headgasket problems, manifest themselves by no mixing of fluids, random overheating. Main evidence is external leaks along the gasket line, usually from the nearside, rear part of the motor. Sometimes, Stop leak can delay things but not one I'd recommend.

Check transmission fluid, smell and check colour. Always check with motor running, in park. CV boots drivers side go early, probably due to cat converter heat (close proximity) cooking the rubber. Wheel bearings from that series known failure point.

I'm really not trying to dissuade you!! If there's no sign of H/G going wrong, the rest (assuming the transmission is OK) shouldn't strand you and with care, the car could easily take you through the 200k barrier.

• Like 1

That's why I said from certain years, not sure where 2006 fit in the redesign of h/g. Wouldn't hurt to examine the h/gasket area for signs of weepage, if it's there could be coolant, or oil or both. Probably neither.

One thing to consider is timing belt. I think the 2006's still have, newer models went to chain. If it's belt, I'd get it changed pronto. The distance (116k miles) demands it if there's no evidence it's been done in the last couple of years.

Do you have a good independent locally ? It will need at least half the price of the main dealer cost,

I doubt you'll see much change from a grand from subaru dealer

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1