White Smoke

Burroo

Hi Guys,

Well that's me 6 weeks into ownership of my Forester and still loving every minute of it - even surprised the missus last night bay asking if she wanted to go for a run cos it was a nice night - not something I've done in the past!!

I have noticed what I percieve to be a problem though.  On start up in the mornings and after work I notice a lot of white smoke coming from the exhaust, not every time - but enough to be noticable.  I took the car back to the dealers who spoke to Subaru (apparently) and they sent up a special diesel additive to be used with a full tank of fuel.  I was also given another bottle of this additive away with me to use on the next full tank of diesel and they reckon that will fix the problem.

Don't get me wrong, my own mechanic was not overly worried about it and it certainly does not appear to be affecting the performance, but with 113K miles on the clock I am just a ween bit wary....

Any ideas?

Burroo

Hi Tigdy,

The only time I notice it is on start up - mostly in the mornings - I think that's why my mechanic was not unduly worried.  Thing is I've been driving for 35 years now and some of them have been older cars but I have never experienced anything like this, sometimes it's like a James Bond smoke screen when I start it up in the morning!!

It not ideal & could lead to other problems when severe, cause of that issue could be injectors - heater plugs for example, would imagine the subaru fuel additive is for injector clean & fuel burn/octane improvement .

certainly keep an eye on things & be sure by decent diesel & try couple additives to see if makes difference. Wait & see if dry warmer weather helps too & perhaps an oil change & fuel filter too if persists.

Cheers Mr B, I've been putting the better diesel in the car and will continue to do so after this fuel additive thing is over.  I've also got my own fuel additive that I can put in now and again to try and keep the injectors clear.  I'll keep in mind the oil and filter, but it was just serviced whn I picked it up and my mechanic verified that it was new oil in the engine...