My first Subaru

Puerco

I bought a 2002 model WRX a week ago - as a winter runabout as my Toyota MR2 Roadster will be garaged so long as the salt is on the roads.

The only AWD I'd ever owned was an Audi TT Quattro 225.  I wanted something with a reasonable performance in dry, wet and wintry conditions but not an SUV.

For the purpose, I needed a cheap but reliable 4 seater and the WRX seemed to fit the bill.  However, finding an unmolested and un-pranged example looked like a challenge.  A quick scan of eBay showed this one for sale 7 miles away from me, so worth a look.  Turned out to be a one owner, original spec car with low mileage, FSH and in near immaculate condition - a no brainer!

After my first 600 miles on pleasant West of Scotland roads, I'm pleased with my purchase.

It lacks the awesome acceleration of the Mini Cooper S (JCW version) which I had previously, but it does deliver its power smoothly through 4 wheels without the horrible torque-steer of the Cooper S.  Fuel consumption has also been reasonable - 32.2 mpg.  I was keeping out of the turbo rev band most of the time though.

Next project is to find a second set of wheels and fit winter tyres to them for use during the colder months.

I've had excellent experience with the MR2 Owners Club and hope to get a lot of valuable info via this one.

Profile summary:

Old petrolhead and keen sailor.  Member of I.A.M. (motorcycling section).  Other transport:  Triumph Street Triple 675.

Regards to all,

Stuart

Wotcha and welcome Stuart, there is plenty of information on this site and members willing to contiribute even though it is comparatively new setup - some discounts as well which you may find useful.