Bearing whine diagnoses

Sandals

Hey guys,

At the beginning of the year, my passenger front brake caliper siezed, got that fixed and all is good. 

Couple of months afterwards, start getting a whine which is purely related to road speed (if I dip the clutch, the noise is still the same). I jacked the car up and manually rotated the wheels and listen for any noise. Only got some slight noise from the same corner that the caliper siezed so I assumed wheel bearing.

Just got it back from the garage and they say there is no play in the bearing (or any of the other bearings) and they checked for play in other components but everything was fine. They have advised to let it develop and take it from there. Thing is tho, the noise hasn't gotten any louder in the past month.

It's due an MOT in a couple of months so I'll get them to investigate further since they only charged me for the oil and filter change.

Anything you guys can suggest that I check?

9 minutes ago, Scoobyghost said:

The brakes have likely put extra strain on that bearing.

I thought the exact same thing....

Unfortunately my bearing is separate so it needs to be done with a press, otherwise I would've done it myself! 

The extra constant heat from brake dragging would of damaged bearing .You can buy bearing hub (blueprint do it, £115 roughly)
You can buy quality bearing for £30, buy a wheel bearing removal fitting tool set (about 35-45 £ on likes of ebay)
We use a removal fitting tool set & if use quality jap bearings never get issue . Have a cheap £45 bearing removal/fitting set too & it works as good as our £300 set but probably not for as long lol but it good enough for occasional use ...

Rough fitting or using cheap bearings like febest, optimal etc lead to constant hassle
Good bearing fitting tool set/press & koyo, ntn, blueprint etc lead to proper reliable rebuilt hub .

• Like 1

Didn't realise I could get a cheap bearing fitting tool... can get a bearing for around £60 quid so buying the cheap tool would still work out cheaper than the garage.

Do you have a link for the tool?

Blueprint bearing kit or Koyo or NTN will only be £30 region .

They the only 3 brands we use, Blueprint easy enough find online at decent price, Koyo or NTN best sourced via bearing retailer (we use Bearing-Shop exeter)

Cheap bearing tool set which looks same as one we bought from machinemart vat free day is below
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wheel-Bearing-Removal-Professional-Tool-Set-Kit-For-Front-Wheel-Drive-Heavy-Duty-/262347012598
bearing tool allows removal & fitting on vehicle and as supports bearing correctly during fitting assembly you don't ruin bearing fitting it.
We charge £40 for fitting unless have issues & need remove hub . It prety simple with right tools & once done 1 or 2 you can do them quick & as good as factory built hub .

Standard 3 leg & clam Shell puller also handy as is a press, cheap home use 6tonne press can be had for £50, 12tonne around £90 .

• Like 1

Ended up buying the 6 tonne press for £59 and a bearing driver kit for £15. So far I have two bearings to sort out, the other one being the bearing in my wife's alternator in her Yaris, a £300 part. If I can replace her bearing, all the kit has paid for itself!

• Like 1