DPF filter

Hazel

Hi, the DPF light has just come on on my 7yr old outback.Shortly afterwards the malfunction indicator lamp,vehicle control dynamics control & brake system lights all came on at once.

It has done 78,800 miles & has had two new sets of glow plugs in 12 months,(second set replaced foc). The problem i have is my local garage doesnt have the full diagnostic package, the "Subaru" garage in Hexham, 18 miles away, is not actually a subaru garage & i have had issues with them (see glow plugs!!). SO, i need to travel to Newcastle, 40 miles away just to get diagnostics done at £80 a shot.

SO, before i venture that far, can anyone shed some light as to what might be going on & is my car safe to drive in the meantime please?

Thank you in advance

Hazel

I know sounds silly but just check that the petrol cap is secured tight enough and has nothing blocking it from sealing properly. This will bring a light on as the ecu thinks it has a leak. 

I would see first if the car drives ok before trying to drive it far and to see if the codes clear once you have checked the cap. If it doesn't then certainly will need to be looked at further. 

my last car was an Audi A3 with 1.9 TDi engine and a DPF - it had done about 78k miles and the DPF was beginning to get pretty sooted up.  Often the dpf warning light would come on.  I used dpf cleaner and regen fluid in the fuel tank (something like Fotre) - then you could drive it, even in limp mode, to try and clear out the DPF a bit.  This was a VAG engine so I don't know if Subaru diesels will like being driven in limp mode? But I would try some of that fluid before going back to garage again.

you can remove the dpf and send it away to be chemically cleaned.  i would also check to make sure all ecu updates are done and a forced regen procedure when put back together.

the other daft one is the intercooler hose, if that devlops a small split then it will keep trying to ad extra fuel and eventually the dpf regen cycle will stop and the lights will come on

alex