New member in need of advice

Hi,

I have a Forester sg5 2008 with 134k on it, the car is fab and easily the best car I have ever owned.......sadly though it has started to play up a bit. For some reason as yet unknown it just does not run properly.........I have had to reset the ECU 3 times in a month. It drives great for a week or so then it will not pull cleanly from low revs......it seems as if the engine is being held back.

I have had to take it to my local Subaru garage who could find no fault codes, the only thing they did find was the knock sensor was reading slightly out of parameter( it was changed but the problem came back ) the car has had a new MAF sensor last year and coil packs from a car with 20k on the clock last year. I have cleaned the throttle body recently.

Has anyone experienced similar and did they manage to sort this out??

Welcome!

Sorry to hear your having issues.  Does sound sensor related if your getting a week of smooth running after reset.  No codes makes it very difficult.  Have to assume garage properly fixed the knock sensor. 

Ignoring that, plugs, air and fuel filter would be my staring points to eliminate if it's holding back.

Hope someone has had the same resolved issue for you.

• Like 1

Welcome! I know with some higher mileage cars it's worth looking into having not only plugs and filters like Geoff said but also look at injectors, I've seen it before where over time injectors become restricted because they have particulates in them.

Possibly look at getting an engine clean done?

My mums battle bus (Kia Sedona) had a similar issue where you'd put your foot down and nothing would happen and then once it felt like it, the torque would come in

Hope it's s simple fix for you!!

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome and advice,

I was considering a Terraclean which seems all the rage at the moment to see if that helps...........the car has been doing this for nearly 2 years but it would go months without any issues. It is only in the last 2 months that it seems to only last a week to 10 days before needing resetting again....it drives spot on after the reset 

It went to David Hendry cars in Malmesbury.........funnily enough it ran ok on the way there!!........they could not find anything obvious when checking and driving it.....the only thing they are looking at is the outside temperature sensor was reading 9 degrees out.......mine read 3 and 3 other cars when they checked all read 12!!........I am going to fit a new one and see if that is the cure......fingers crossed. 

• 3 weeks later...