Buying advice 2000 Turbo

Pommy

Hey all,

Am looking at buying myself a 2000 turbo and wondering what to look out for, have read this guide http://uk.subaruownersclub.com/forums/topic/1619-help-check-guide-buying-1st-subaru/

is there anything else to look out for?

Am driving a mk1 mx5 at the moment so a bit of a change.

Also are there many driving differences between a wagon and saloon? Have heard the wagon handles better because of the weight.

Also if any one is looking to sell in the future I could be interested very easily.

Thanks in advance for the help and looking forward to getting involved in some 4wd fun.

Nice choice of car have a few members with them. And for anything else I would just look more in to the body and interior a bit more check the sills of the door's on the inside just for the age of the car but most of them I would say have either been looked after or will be a rotter. 

Just make sure you get to drive it or get them to drive it while it warm's up listen to the gears make sure they don't try to miss a gear

They do rattle a bit subarus and make noise more then any other car I've had but you will pick up on anything that sounds really bad. Think that's it mate :D 

• Like 1

Thanks for the info and quick reply, pretty familiar with rust from my mx5 fortunately I know a metal fabricator who does very cheap work. Are there any other common problems that show a little lack of love? Any gaskets that commonly leak? Going to go see my first one next week in Shipley I think. Very excited.]]

• Like 1

From my experience, anything to do with CV, shocks, bearings, all things that may have been hammered from !Removed! heads ragging it through a field basically, play with the steering and make sure it doesnt wobble of its own accord or youve got a blown shock(s) on your hands

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Drove my first one today and my god was it fun, and a very tidy example it seems to be, has 140,000 miles but a FSH at Subaru garage up to the last 2 services. Only downside was the noise, while it was a good noise there was a lot of it as someone has fitted a 4" tail pipe. The owner says this is only from the cat back, just wondering how easy this would be to change? Just want it a bit quieter as its an everyday car.

Looking forward to driving a few more!!!

• Like 1

I would price some up if you are getting someone else to fit it, and work it in with the price i.e try get a bit knocked off if he's will to come down. But you can pick some up maybe from breakers yard or eBay might have some but just make sure it's from cat back :) 

Not too worried about the labour as I would just do it myself. From what I've read not too tricky just a bit time consuming. Prices don't seem too high and a few going cheap I have seen tonight already so could probably find a few more given time. Thanks for the replies. Will keep updated.

• Like 1

Just get a baffle insert for daily driving, about £11 on eBay, make sure there is no rust in the sills and the Arches, check under the boot lining as if this is fitted with a spoiler and done wrong it will leak, also make sure that it isn't leaking from the tail lights as the seals do sometimes go, wiring under dash is a big one as well have a quick nosey to see if its like a spaghetti junction, this will indicate chop and change.

Engine: check when it was last serviced, if it has had a rebuild and has proof of this, is it the original turbo, condition of the radiator, check the oil filler cap for Creamy substance as this will indicate head gasket, listen for knocking on revving and idle this can be done under the bonnet by pressing the throttle, is there any blue smoke on rev as this could indicate damaged Oil seal on the turbo or worse damaged piston Ring. check what type of Oil/Filter is been used, and also what fuel is put into the car. On the Block itself check the heads on both sides for weeping or oil on the floor if it doesn't have the Shi* plate as this will indicate new gaskets are needed.

Listen to it idle, should have the Subaru burble with not much ticking noise, depending on condition of the engine ( mine has high ticking on idle due to oversized pistons), check that the engine isn't vibrating badly.

When driving make sure it doesn't pull to the left or the Right as this indicates tracking is out or worse could have hit a kerb at some point.

What I would suggest is you Aim around £2k mark as anything below that has mostly been ragged to high heaven, I genuinely try to avoid Modified examples depending on who owns it however if you have a look at mine I got mine modified however its cost me around £900 to sort mapping etc, so be mindful.

Prob missed a few bits but im shattered , anything else pop me a PM

• Like 1

Well thanks to the help on here I have bought my first Scooby and couldn't be happier, higher mileage than I wanted but a full service history at Subaru garage. Few little tweaks but no modifications, hks dumpvalve, leather interior and exhaust system for which I am looking at getting a baffle insert as suggested. I imagine I will be spending a lot of time on here from now on.

• Like 2

Weather has been crap here as well. Used the only good weather to get photos of the mx5 to sell it. Will try and get some photos tomorrow. The video would be much appreciated. Definitely need to make it quieter as I leave for work at 530am a lot and am waking people up already!!! Woops. But it sounds so good.... and so much fun. Can't wait for some more interesting drives!!!