New WRX STi, ownership experience

Flowman

Some interesting comments there Daz, and some good points. To be honest I thought about options as you did, but if I'm honest I won't have the funds available until February anyhow, so when it came down to 8 weeks or so I thought I may as well wait. The price going up is a risk I'm aware of but hey, you can't win them all!!

some reassuring comments flowman ref mpg. I will be commuting in mine most days (approx 34 miles each way) so knowing you can get something half decent out of it is good!

On 12/6/2016 at 6:15 PM, muziqaz said:

WTF, guys, do you happen to have an extra horse in front of your cars pulling it? :D

For those of you watching in black & white, you need to retune your sets after this transmission error. Serious transmission error. 

I don't know what on earth is going on here - but we seemed to have strayed from a performance & horsepower forum into some green energy forum. Is that average mpg for real at the top of the screen ?:biggrin:

2016-12-07%2021.09.28_zpsqice6frk.jpg

On 12/6/2016 at 6:52 PM, Flowman said:

Just smooth driving people. Plenty of braking distance and minimal use of the brakes, no hard acceleration (no use in congested traffic anyway). I'm sure I could do better! I did not hold back on the acceleration on the way home and even then I thought consumption was quite respectable.

I will save my fun for the right roads, meanwhile I will enjoy this car's unexpected "efficiency" when I don't need to use the loud pedal. 

Yes, that is what it is. Smooooooth driving is the only way you'll see 30+ mpg from these. That silly mpg I got above was the 20 miles from the fuel station to home tonight, whilst chasing down a Ford Kuga diesel that was severely on edge through the country lanes. What I mean was that it was getting away from me on the straights where the floaty Ford could have a foot put down but on the bends, I just kept the same mph and drifted around them with no input from the middle pedal.

Anyway, enough of this record breaking mpg posting. I'll be kicked off and placed on the Hybrid and frugal owner's site.

On 12/6/2016 at 7:50 PM, BrianP1 said:

Some interesting comments there Daz, and some good points. To be honest I thought about options as you did, but if I'm honest I won't have the funds available until February anyhow, so when it came down to 8 weeks or so I thought I may as well wait. The price going up is a risk I'm aware of but hey, you can't win them all!!

some reassuring comments flowman ref mpg. I will be commuting in mine most days (approx 34 miles each way) so knowing you can get something half decent out of it is good!

Thanks Brian. Yes, as said, there was no right or wrong and it sounds look you have a good plan there.

Be re-assured with the mpg.

Right enough of that - as this thread is going all wrong now.

• Like 3

I hoped this thread would be a guide to WRX STi ownership should anyone be interested in owning one.

I agree 100% that you don't buy one for the fuel economy, I didn't! But what I found in my first weeks of ownership is that the reviews online or in the press were a bit harsh. Not all of them, but some would definitely be a disincentive to potential buyers. Car Wow, for example state that: running costs are high – and you’ll be lucky to average more than about 20mpg. My reason for posting on this topic is to reassure any would be buyers that economy should not be a deal breaker.

I agree that we have covered that subject now and I look forward to writing more about the car's other attributes in the coming weeks. 

I've had mine for about 4.5 months now and just about to hit 8k.

No regrets at all :happy:

Disappointments? :bangin:
Not the quickest in a straight line. Would have been nice if Subaru had upped the power in its latest incarnation.
Seats. Full leather with the Limited version and very comfortable. Wife likes the heated option. However, they are not that snug and really need more lateral support for when you are pushing through the twisty parts. They could also do with being a little lower too IMHO.
Interior isn't too bad but is let down a little in some areas. The handbrake boot, for example, looks very cheap.
Headunit isn't too bad but is let down by the sat nav which isn't as good as google maps.
Wing mirrors. Fold in with the press of a button but would have been nice to set them to close/open with ignition on/off.

Stock exhaust is too quiet and the boxer rumble needs to be heard - but that's getting picky :wink:

Loves :wub:

Sheer raw driving experience. Love the feedback from the steering/chassis - you have to be doing something really, really stupid to get out of shape while driving on public roads. And if you do, then you deserve to be caught out!
OK, it's not the most comfortable ride on some roads - but you're not buying a long distance cruiser here when you get an STi. Saying that, it's not as back breaking as some make it out to be. I'm driving 2 hours to work and don't get out feeling exhausted.
Good brakes.
Nice roomy cabin that easily fits 4 adults in comfort for long journeys and 5 for short trips.
AWD system and ability to have input via DCCD.
SI drive system. Nice to have choice betyween 3 settings.
Auto wipers and headlight functions. Though pretty much standard on most cars these days. Not sure it gets cold enough here though for the wiper de-icer fitted on the Limited spec.
Spacious boot.
Harman Kardon Stereo is great.
Being a Limited spec means camera in the passemger wing mirror racing forward so no excuse to kerb those alloys when parking.
Wing delete option. Personal taste but gives the car more of a sleeper look and attracts less unwanted attention.

16 hours ago, Flowman said:

I hoped this thread would be a guide to WRX STi ownership should anyone be interested in owning one.

I agree 100% that you don't buy one for the fuel economy, I didn't! But what I found in my first weeks of ownership is that the reviews online or in the press were a bit harsh. Not all of them, but some would definitely be a disincentive to potential buyers. Car Wow, for example state that: running costs are high – and you’ll be lucky to average more than about 20mpg. My reason for posting on this topic is to reassure any would be buyers that economy should not be a deal breaker.

I agree that we have covered that subject now and I look forward to writing more about the car's other attributes in the coming weeks. 

Sorry - my last comment in my last post was tongue in cheek but didn't place up a smilie. I wasn't having a pop at the economy stats on a performance forum with sincerity - it was in satire.

Actually, economy is a hooooge gamble for a lot of people and should sit in threads like this. Agreed, no one buys a Scooby for the economy. But I bet not one person on this forum doesn't take a peek at their fuel economy every so often or count up how much fuel they have spent out in the last week / month. It might not be a concern or a priority to address - but we all have in our minds what we spend on fuel.

It does though become a priority when the car starts becoming a bit too expensive. It's usually the reason for it going up for sale. For every £1 where I saw someone say the Scooby has got to go because I am now having to use it more and need something more frugal, I would have a few bob in the bank now

It becomes more key for people like me to see if I can run a performance motor as a daily, rather than a garage queen and substituting the Scooby with something else as the daily. I've just clocked up 3,200 miles since I bought it in early November. I can't see that distance abating. So I do need to get 30mpg otherwise I become a slave to Shell garages.   

10 hours ago, NGBZ said:

I've had mine for about 4.5 months now and just about to hit 8k.

No regrets at all :happy:

Yes, some great points posted there. I think you have got a more upmarket / premium version than mine as mine doesn't have things like auto wiper and lights. Sounds like quite a nice place to be, in yours.

18 minutes ago, NGBZ said:

I read somewhere that the UK doesn't get the Premium/Limited spec?

Sunroof, full leather, Harman Kardon stereo, wing mirror camera, heated wipers, etc. 

No we don't ;)

We can select color, wheels, satnav, camera and couple of accessories. Nothing else. But to be honest Type UK comes with a lot of things which US market has to mod for ;) or pay extra. Like indicators on side mirrors, front light domes blacked out with HID bulbs as standard. JDM front grill. Fog light housings. Back fog light (F1 type, not flickering, mind), etc ;)

NZ market seems to be different again as we get those things as standard. Paid an extra NZ$5k for the Premium version over as base car. Only real difference from JDM that I am aware of is no rear screen wiper.

I am not saying there isn't a different tune in the UK, but the PS and BHP are different values for the same power. PS is the higher number (the lower denominator, if that makes sense). So 305PS = ~300BHP. So whether in the UK we have 305PS or 300PS - that is the bit I am not certain of. I think that you are right - it is 300PS here.

It's the common old trick across the markets. We here in the UK use both but then one is close to the other but not exactly the same. I believe the US use a different value for HP. You guys in the Australasia area, isn't KW the power ?

• 2 months later...

I am now into my 4th month of ownership, where did the time go? I have only covered 1800 miles in that time but those miles have involved some commuiting and a B road blast through Shropshire. My experience so far has shown me what the car is good at and where it falls short, so here goes.

Motorway commuting is definitely not this cars natural home. Whilst it is economical in this environment, plodding along at 50-70 in busy traffic can be rather boring. At much over 60mph the radio is inaudible, so the boredom cannot be alleviated by listening to anything conversational. This is a noisy car, mainly roadnoise.

Get off the motorways though, find a gap in the traffic and the only entertainment you will need is available from your right foot and through the steering wheel. I had a blast driving from Bridgnorth to Market Drayton and on to Knighton and Newcastle under Lyme in January. The more sinuous the road the better, as soon as the traffic disappears this car demonstrates just how quickly it can eat up the tarmac and just how much fun it can be. The steering is amazing, the car is so easy to place on the road. Turn in is instantaneous then feed in the power and just enjoy being fired out of the corner to the next one with the confidence instilled by unshakeable traction. Great!

I still like the interior, I don't get the press criticisms, and find the seats comfortable even on a long journey although a bit more adjustment would help, underthigh support could be a bit higher for taller drivers. The big boot is a real plus and there is pleny of room in the back.

What would I like Subaru to add to the next version? Well sat nav and a reversing camera should be included in the spec as standard, as should parking sensors. A couple of storage nets in the footwells would not go amiss. A bit of high tech should be available to take advantage of safety developments and to keep up with the competition: intelligent LED lights are superb and I want some, a couple more USB sockets would be useful too. Oh! I use the horn for the first time yesterday, it's pathetic! Like something off a pedal car. Anybody have any suggestions for something a bit more manly?

Average fuel consumption so far: 30.3mpg.

i still look forward to an excuse to drive my Subaru, and any trip is an event. This is an easy car to enjoy!

Nice summations :)

Especially agree with motorway noise. Also, couple of weekends ago was doing ~140mph down in Mexico, for a short time, and was pleasantly surprised how stable and planted the car was. With my scirocco at 120-130mph the car would feel like about to fly. Not with STI. I guess the rear wing adds a lot of stability. (In any way I do not promote speeding, it just happened).

Regarding seats: last thursday I hurt my back extremely bad, couldn't stand, sit or lie down without massive pain. Mornings were like torture chambers with 10 minute attempt to sit up in the bed and another 10 minutes to actually stand up. BUT after all the sufferings once I got into the car, got myself tight and snug into the seat all the pain would just go away, and after the journey I would feel much much better with possibility to move around like half healthy person. During weekend I was going to my car to either drive around or just sit in it, to keep the pain away. In longer journeys they never feel like they are bothering my body at all.

Average MPG: 18.9 in the city :D The only reason I mention it, is because I was changing gauge cover and had to set everything on display again after reconnecting wires, and I saw 19.2MPG, and later that day on the way to car meet I was chasing my friends Glanza and in the car meet I was asked(jokingly) about MPG, I checked it again and it was 18.9. I just blamed it on Toyota :D But either way, well worth it ;)

And steering rack - I am lost for words ;)

Good summary Roger! I think I would agree with all of that. Mine spends its life on the m/way, hence the reason it has racked up 9000 miles since I bought it in early November. It is a bit noisy. But then I have come out of 10+ yr old motors into this one and perhaps I am not so sensitive.

There are some annoying issues that you have mentioned. In the 2014 version, I don't know whether the early ones are different, there are some more. The central locking system. What on earth!!

So the anti hijack system kicks in on depression of the clutch with ignition off and locks all of the doors before starting up. What is that about and why can't I turn that off ? The work around is to keep the door open until after you start the car.

I don't want to be locked inside the car. If I need to get out, I need to open the door without faffing. If I need the anti-hijack locking, I'll do it myself, not on the clutch pedal switch.

Driver door keyless entry - why does only the driver door unlock ? When you do the passenger door, all 4 unlock ? Again, if I want that set up, I would manually programme it in. But that is the Subaru default and can't be changed. To open the back door, you end up keyless the driver door and then clicking the button on the driver door card to unlock all 4.

As you see, I am not getting to grips with the whole locking / unlocking system. I hope you guys with later ones don't have these issues as Subaru seemed to have rammed us lot with this and when I asked the dealer, they said " Sorry - that's how it is!" I bet it isn't and if I took it to an auto electrical place, they'd sort it. But it's not that bad for me to start getting someone to pull the electrics apart.

Just one other thing - my mpg has now shot up. School boy error - never checked the tyre pressures. The 35 series tyres don't give too much away so it is an easy mistake. I have been running on 26psi. Now I have increased them to the book ~33psi, now we are seeing good mpg - 32/33. This is what i would have expected as running around in the few more thirsty variants over the years, I normally am able to get 30+ out of my leisurely commute.

My2017 has hijack system improved as it only engages when put in first gear and start moving. My dad's Skoda does even better only engages when start moving above 10 mph.

Regarding central locking system Subaru assumed that everyone who is buying STI are single and drive alone... :D

You're probably right there with the way we drive. :thumbsup:

At least yours in on the 1st gear. My JDM Legacy with an aftermarket Toad alarm had the same set up as your Dad's Skoda Tomas. When you came to a halt and turned off the ignition, all the doors unlocked. Now I liked that system!

• Like 1

On 10/12/2016 at 11:49 PM, NGBZ said:

Disappointments? :bangin:

Wing mirrors. Fold in with the press of a button but would have been nice to set them to close/open with ignition on/off.

Check this website as you can get a loom addition for the 08- motors that will move the mirrors when remotely locking the car - I agree though that should be included from new, might be worth dropping them a line to see if something is available for your motor?

https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/18147