Hi guys

Roars

So yer high  👋🏻  there

Im new to this Subaru way of life, been three weeks so far and a very blurry fast 3 weeks they have been, not to mention !Removed! expensive as well, who would of thought it was possible to use that much fuel in 3 weeks... i have fallen for that Subaru bug and i can foresee where my hard earned money will go in the not to distant future. It did cost me a new radiator after 8 days of owning it...

I have a 2000 2.0lt turbo gc8, so its been mechanically really well looked after, i have a massive collection of receipts/invoices and MOT certificates, every fluid and filter has been more than regularly changed, from what i can decipher from it all it has had a prodrive gearbox and diff swap a few years back, STI suspension, different calipers all round, rear spoiler, front bumper and bonnet change and a really really loud exhaust system which cost a lot of wonga...

however its not all sunshine and glory, the body work lets it down, there's only one small dent in all the body, your typical supermarket shopping ding but the rust has got it in places, where the roof meets the windscreen and rear window is very bubbly under the paintwork, one small bubbly patch on the rear arch and the worst bit is in the boot area, it was just rusty looking and i noticed it was leaking and i did the worst possible you could, i poked it 🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️.... so now i have a rather large section of the corner of my boot where the seal sits on missing, and to make matters worse its on the topside of the boot so the rear window will have to be cut out to sort it or that will just shatter with the heat transfer when welding, this is something i am going to undertake as soon as i can but due to working in the offshore industry my time at home is very limited and what time i do have in the motherland i spend seeing friends and family, maybe those !Removed! can be put on hold for a while next time i come back so i can sort it out before i end up having to patch up the floor of the boot as well. Im one of these people who who don't do the show but make it go go so i can see it being rust free soon but a full respray after will not be a must so it will be a bit patchy here and there in the paintwork.

I stripped it all out last weekend, i was left with the dashboard, steering wheel and two front seats, everything and i mean everything has been binned, all the interior was showing its 17 years of age, bit loose fitting and generally not to my liking plus i had plans for the inside and interior was not part of those plans. Now that really really loud exhaust is really really really !Removed! loud on the inside.. roll cage is on the cards, 4 point harnesses are in and some new seats to follow very soon. It has a really tacky and chavy set of head and tail lamps which are being replaced next month as they are just **** poor, there's no other way to describe them without having my mum wash my mouth out with soap.

power wise it was 258bhp when i took ownership of it, i have fitted a gizmo digital boost controller i had on my old van and it made a very noticeable difference on pickup and power, im looking to get it up to or just over 300bhp to keep it from munching its self to death.

so yer that's my story so far and a few plans for the not to distant future, if you fancy watching the work and build im sure i will chuck it up on here as and when I remember or if your on Instagram come follow me "@coop.in.it.real". 

oh and one more thing before i go, when replacing the radiator i noticed all the tyres were on backwards!!! Yer you read that right, backwards..

✌🏻

Wotcha and welcome - sounds like you have the makings of a project there, start a thread in that section and keep a camera handy :thumbsup:

Have you thought of doing a reshell - that way roll cage and all metal prep can be done in parallel to you driving the motor then you could just switch everything across?

1 hour ago, Jay762 said:

Wotcha and welcome - sounds like you have the makings of a project there, start a thread in that section and keep a camera handy :thumbsup:

Have you thought of doing a reshell - that way roll cage and all metal prep can be done in parallel to you driving the motor then you could just switch everything across?

There's 1 reason why im not going down the reshell rout, i like to tinker and fix things, i prefer to sweat profusely, give myself headaches, let countless cups of tea and coffee go cold and bust my knuckles open fixing things and when its all done take a step back and appreciate what i have just done, i have the space for a doner car but its just not how im wired up, however this is my daily so i will have to choose the time i start the repairs in accordance with work as i also have to work in the yard when im back in the uk and drive there so its going to be tricky. Also having a missis who lives in London when im based in cornwall makes things a little harder too but nether the less it will be done as soon as i can. I have a mountain of parts i wish to purchase on the interweb so i may well start a build tread pretty soon

• Like 1