Tyres/Discs/Pads

Hi All,

Just bought myself a 1998 Impreza WRX and loving it.

However it's going to need some work done.

Back brakes really aren't working and look completely rusted.. Along with this the handbrake is non-existent, could this be related to the brakes/calipers being seized or something?

What's the best option for new back discs/pads and potentially calipers? Fronts have drilled and grooved on but what brand? The car won't be run on tracks and is just for road use, daily driving. My plan is to take it to a garage next door and get them to check them out and look them over but I don't want them putting on any old crap.. 

Tyres are looking pretty shot as well.. Fronts were flat and after pumping up one is already gone down again in 1 day. I'm not so fussed on tyres as i'm not going to be track using or ragging it around.. Some cheap and cheerful standard tyres from next door garage i think will do.

Any advice will be welcome! Go original Subaru parts( if still available for 1998 model?) or buy Brembo etc?

Cheers,

Rich

Look up Godspeed brakes they do all kinds of stuff from recon calipers to new, at a guess a set of brembos wouldn't clear your wheels, so your looking at 700 for a 2nd hand pair and 18" wheels at least do you have monoblock or 4pots on the front ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

if you really are limited on budget for the tyres, try Jinyu YU63s -  about £40 a corner on Camskill.  I've had some nasty Chinese tyres in the past that have given up with the slightest bit of damp on the roads, but when I bought my Impreza last year it had 4 new Jinyus on it, and they have been great.  No handling issues at all in wet, dry or snow.  I've only got 160bhp to play with mind you...

1 hour ago, david1972 said:

The one thing I'd never recommend going cheap n cheerful on is tyres...it's all you have between you and the tarmac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 to this

You can get good quality tyres for around 80-100 quid a corner. 

Thanks for all the help - Tyres are looking okay for the moment so will hold fire on those.

18 hours ago, Sandals said:

While you're at it, would seriously consider getting some braided brake lines... significant upgrade over the rubber hoses and only cost around 70 quid for a set of 4 

How hard is this to fit/sort myself? Fairly savvy with working on cars and up for trying most things ha!

Brembo discs seem a tad expensive then - I've had Mtec discs on my Type R before and they were great, had 0 problems with them.

2 hours ago, RWatson said:

Thanks for all the help - Tyres are looking okay for the moment so will hold fire on those.

How hard is this to fit/sort myself? Fairly savvy with working on cars and up for trying most things ha!

Brembo discs seem a tad expensive then - I've had Mtec discs on my Type R before and they were great, had 0 problems with them.

Not overly difficult as long as you have a set of flare spanners! Just need to bear in mind you will need to bleed your entire brake system afterwards