Fuel leak

Sirspidey

Hi all

Yesterday it look as though my fuel was depleting quicker than normal, so today I kept my eye on it and I did about 10-12 miles and used nearly 1/4 of a tank. This seem more than usual to me. I've had a quick look and can't smell any fuel while car is running or not. Put the back end on some ramp, had car running, still can smell or see any thing (but it has rained so inside is wet) the only thing I noticed was the fuel pump was 'whistling', is this normal?

Just wanted some advice before I take the back seats out and see if there is a leak there.

Car is a 2005 WRX and seem to be running fine. No power loss. It have been remapped to 285bhp and I haven't changed fuel pump. Could I have just pushed the pump too much?

Thanks in advance

Had another quick look a still can't see anything. Managed to get the inspection panel of for fuel pump without removing the seats, and all is very dry under there. But while car was running it did seem a bit 'rich' of fuel from the back end. More from the fuel pump side of the car??

Could the fuel pump be causing this??

Have a look at the fuel filler neck ,breather pipes and fuel pipes in that area .

As the stone guard on the u bend on the filler neck traps mud which causes the neck to rot.

This somtimes causes a leak when the tank is full but it stops once the the fuel level drops

Well had the car up on the ramps and no signs or smells of any leaks. We had a very good look about. He even said it look very tidy under there. The only thing we could see that need doing (with the quickish look) was a worn rear drop link bush has some play. Which is the next think on my hit list to do anyway lol. Upgrade rear arb and drop links. The car seems to be ok today. Fuel dropping any normal rate. My mechanic has suggested to monitor my fuel consumption over the next couple of fill ups. If it is the filler neck that's rotted it might be below the level of the 'hole'.

Update

For the last couple of mornings I've noticed a strong petrol smell when I start up. It only lasts for a couple of mins. I've searched the Internet and on some bugeye models there was a recall for this problem. I've spoken to Subaru and there are no outstanding recalls on my car. He suggested to check all pipes and fitting are nice and tight, but do it in the morning as when they warm up the leak could be sealed due to expansion. Does this sound about right or could I be looking at something else?

Think you're right savage. Day off today so had bonnet up then started the car. No smell from engine bay, but petrol smell around the charcoal filter area. Hope to get it on the ramps later and have a route around. Could the filter just need changing? Do they 'run out'?

They get blocked from time to time, maybe take it out give it a shake and replace, know it sounds daft but is your filler cap done up tightly? Or is your fuel filler neck rotting out ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk