Advice Needed!

Gary Mears

Hi everyone,

I'll cut straight to the chase, I think I'm in the market for an Impreza STi hatchback (please forgive me I don't know which model number it is!), I'm extremely naive when it comes to Subarus, I've always been a jap car guy, I've had a couple of Nissan 350Zs & 3 RX-8s over the years, however I now have a beautiful daughter, so I need something with more than 2 seats & with actual usable rear seats, whilst I would dearly love a 370Z this obviously doesn't fit that criteria so I'm seriously considering an STi, which seems to fit the bill of satisfying my love of sports cars whilst giving me the practicality I now need, the only problem is I've never driven one or even been a passenger in one. Now, in the most respectful way possible, I know you guys might be biased, but could any hatchback STi owners please give me an honest appraisal of the car, what it's like to live with both practically & performance wise? I will take the car on track periodically, but primarily it will be used for family journeys & spirited countryside drives when I'm out & about on my own!  It's probably worth mentioning this won't be our (the family's) only car, we currently have a diesel Civic, but I'm just desperate to get back into what I call a 'me' kind of car! Also, if anyone is local to me (I live just outside of Retford which is basically between Lincoln & Sheffield) & wouldn't mind showing me around their STi I would forever be in their debt!

Thank you for your time & for any advice/help you can give me!

Gary

Buy one! Lol I have a blobeye STi (saloon), and a baby due any day now, already trial fit everything, car seat, pram, bags wife, black lab and a Jack Russel in the car(yes at the same time)

Running cost wise, you won't be surprised due to your jdm history, expect around 22mpg (ish), a oil change every 6 months, keep ontop of general servicing an maintenance and your laughing

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I had a E93 BMW before this car but i had to change due to having a baby on the way and like you i fancied getting back into something fun aswell. I ended buying a blob STI. Plenty of room in the back for the ISOFix base and car seat leaving the passenger plenty of space. The boot is surprisingly big aswell. I had in there the other day a cosatto push chair base along with the moses basket, 6 x 10ft football nets bag, footballs and a scooter. 

So a scooby is a capable family car. I have a 11year old and a 5 week old. 

We have a Focus as are first car though. No way i would do long distance family day outs in the scoob. Makes too much racket and isnt that comfy on long journeys. My mrs hates it. I love it but mainly as a toy. 

So basically an awesome toy that is capable of sticking the family in there if need be but i will use the Focus most of the time for the family stuff. I tend to just use the scooby for thrashing about when i fancy a drive on my tod. Just see it as my big toy lol.

I have an 08 sti ppp. It's silver. It's great it's got plenty of room and withs rear seats down tons of room and hardly any lip. Goes like a train but quiet on motorways as only has prodrive rear box. Handles well. Check underside is well undersealed. Usual checks when buying. Mine gets combined 22 mpg but heavy foot and the extra bhp.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Thank you for all the advice guys, I guess it's time to go & look for myself, there are a couple that have caught my eye on autotrader, unfortunately none of them are local to me so a day out car shopping might be in order! Thanks again for all the help