Outback Sat Nav

Lou

Hi All,   first post on this site, at the moment I'm at loggerheads with my dealer and Subaru. My Outback is coming up to three years old so I decided to try and update my sat nav which is a Pioneer AVIC-F50BT. There were no instructions on how to do this with the literature that came with the car which I brought at i year old from Subaru, it was a managers car from Subaru in Birmingham. I contacted Pioneer who said these units were OEM ( Original Equipment Manufacture ) and Subaru had their own navigation toolbox site. I accessed the site and to update my sat nav I had to install my SD card supplied with the vehicle. Problem there was no card supplied with the vehicle, my dealer passed it to Subaru who contacted me and said the sat nav was pre loaded and there is no card. My question is how on earth do you update it, not being able to update your sat nav makes it pretty useless, ( perhaps you have to get a new car for the latest update ) Has anyone updated their sat nav if so how. My dealer is still scratching his head, this has been going on for 6 weeks. Can anyone see what their problem is, if so please tell me.

Cheers Lou 

• 2 months later...

Ive just bought a new Outback and want to update the SAT NAV map to show the recent major road upgrades that have just finished up here in Central Scotland (M8 and M74)

Asked the dealer I bought it from what the website address was and did not get a reply, said he had to check ? So far have heard nothing. (The dealer did supply me with some innacurate information regarding the specification of the Pioneer Unit during the purchase )

Like you I can find nothing in the manual.

The Pioneer is OEM to Subaru but I would suspect that Subaru has an arrangement with another SATNAV company to provide Map information, As you indicate.

I do have the micro SD card in my car. Can you post or send me the web address of the site you were given and I will try to update my Map.

As you say a SATNAV is useless without an up to date map, my car is new and I would want to pursue this within the new consumer purchase regulations if i cant update it

Hi Ianmac I know how you feel it's very frustrating. It took me 5 months to finally sort mine. Because you have a SD card try this site https://subaru-na.naviextras.com/shop/portal I'm in Ireland on hol at moment but if this is no good I have another site on computer at home you can try. My problem was that I never had a card supplied with vehicle 

cheers Lou

Tried that link it took me to Subaru North America with no link to UK maps.

Found another link to Subaru on the net www.subarumapupdates.com  but still no luck. Recognised My micro SD ident number but would not recognise my email address ? Mentions of purchase on the website.

Have I been stitched up by my dealer / Subaru and Subaru want cash to update a map??

When I get back I'll post the link that I used. Basically I put a blank SD card in and downloaded the updates to it then put it in sat nav and transferred it. Surprisingly it was free. 

Lou

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Kit I'm not sure but I think the 05 Outback used a disc. My sat nav has a SD card and the sites I accessed were solely for the SD. If your Sat Nav does use a card let me know and I'll forward some sites to you but if it's a disc I can't really help but there are a lot of sites on the internet that deal only in discs. You need to know the make and model of your sat nav. Hope this helps.

Lou

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/07/2017 at 3:34 AM, Klt said:

Hi iv just got legacy on 05 plate how Do I update satnav please

The last DVD for the navigation is 2015, nothing after that i`m afraid. I got one from eBay a few weeks ago I can run you off a copy if you want.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/31/2017 at 10:54 PM, shms said:

Hi Kit, or is is Klt ?..am also looking to update my Core1 satnag (disc)..as Majik says there is nothing post 2015, nor likely to be afaik.

try here ... http://www.satnavdvd.co.uk/subaru-38-c.asp

(a fellow newbie btw) :smile:

Hi shms, have you tried the link that you gave (satnavdvd) and if so do the discs work as some users give bad reviews ? Anybody else on here recomend a site for cheap sat nav discs

yep, bought the update from them ^^^ and worked straight out the box,, no issues.

it doesn't update the UI only the maps.... checking the version on the info screen in the car it actually shows up as a 2014, but considering it was

replacing the original its a big improvement.!!  :smile:

yep, bought the update from them ^^^ and worked straight out the box,, no issues.
it doesn't update the UI only the maps.... checking the version on the info screen in the car it actually shows up as a 2014, but considering it was
replacing the original its a big improvement.!!  smile.png
Good one!
That's the last disc made for that system. Later mods have a memory card.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

Hi

2016 Forester, trying to update my satnav. The dealer sent me a link to the Subaru Toolbox site. This sends you to a website in Hungary who appear to be Subaru`s supplier. An update costs 114 Euros. Well, an outdated satnav isn`t much good so I swallowed hard and paid. Inserted my card and the download commenced but froze at 72% for several hours, when I tried to restart, it suddenly said it was completely updated. A quick test drive over the new Forth Road Bridge (aka the Queensferry Crossing) proved it was still out of date. Np approach roads, no bridge and all been in operation for a year.

Can`t contact the supplier because the invoice comes from a `no reply` email address.

Quietly fuming; emailing and phoning various Subaru folk. If I get any joy, I`ll post it. Until then do not touch the Subaru Toolbox.

• 4 weeks later...

Further to the Subaru Toolbox fiasco.

The company that provides Subaru`s updates is Naviextras from Budapest. I managed to get an email address for them and complained. The gist of their reply is that an update marketed as 2017/2018 refers only to its date of publication by Naviextras not the date of the information, which dates to 2016. The download freezing at 72% is a known fault but doesn`t affect the update. They do not produce maps themselves but rely on info from another company called Mapcreator which they implied hadn`t given them the latest info. However, I checked t!he Mapcreator site it is fully up to date, so the fault is not down to them. .

I told them that they were deliberately misleading customers and demanded a refund. Why, I asked would I want to buy an update from 2016 for a car bought the same year? They are `considering` a refund...............

Meanwhile my old stick-on-the-windscreen Garmin satnav from my previous car has been updated for free from my computer and shows all the new roads etc. Bought from Halfords years ago for less than the price of a Naviextras update.

It`s a shame, I really like the car but Subaru`s satnav prevents me from giving much of a recommendation to those who ask if I`m happy with it. Now, the thought occurs....... if Subaru considers they can fit Christmas cracker equipment that`s right in front of you, does the same philosophy extend to components that you cannot see?

Hi Fisherman I entirely agree with you the Subaru system for their updates etc is a complete and utter joke. After struggling for 6 months to get updates which I finally managed the Pioneer Sat Nav completely failed. Subaru wouldn’t replace it as it was out of warranty ( 6 weeks ) their 5 year warranty is only for engine and gearbox, as a goodwill geasture they would send it away to pioneer if it couldn’t be repaired I would have to foot the bill for a new unit. 

Luckily it was repairable but my dealer said it would have to go back because the reversing camera wasn’t working I had to tell the fitter after a 3 hour wait that you could turn the camera on in the menu....says a lot for Subaru trained fitters. 

I have just received a survey from Subaru to complete I think they will be getting a few home truths about their lousy Sat Nav system. Anyway good luck with the refund. 

• 2 years later...

Hello, Ive just found this topic after months of looking for help. Ive had trouble with a corrupt sd card for my Forester 15 plate. Subaru UK (I.M Group} have been useless they want £301.00 for an 8gb card. I have the maps backed up but I.M Group are not helping. Ive been driving Subarus since 2001 in the UK but mostly in Australia. Subaru Australia are so helpful compared to Subaru UK. Ive read posts on here that you can recover a card or rewrite it, if this is the case can anyone help ? Much appreciated in advance.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello Deano and Lou,   I'm having similar trouble with the Starlink SD update for my 2015 Outback.  Just been on phone to my local Subaru dealership in Sheffield who tell me that the system is to buy a replacement Micro SD card from their parts dept, with the updated maps.  Only trouble is it's coming up at £459  !!!   Told them that was more than my insurance and I won't be paying it.  To be fair the guy in the parts dept was shocked at the price as well.  Would love to hear your outcomes and how they were achieved and at what cost please.  I have the micro SD card and that holds the map data - when its removed no maps available.