Buying used hatch STI - forged?

YP70

Hi all

Am liking the look of the hatchback STI - 08 onwards - and have been scanning the usual places looking at what's currently for sale.

I'm noting that a reasonable proportion of these have a 'forged engine' and so reading into this I now understand that the engine has a few foibles for various reasons.

So if I'm considering the purchase of a car with a forged engine - what should I be thinking about?  Particular components having been changed as a minimum? Certain reputable tuners that should have completed the work? How to get confidence that the rebuild has been completed to a reasonable standard? Anything else? 

I have owned a few tuned cars before and am generally of the opinion that the more they are fettled with the more you ultimately compromise reliability in pursuit of performance, especially if work isn't completed to a good standard.  I'm not looking for big power mods in future (perhaps up to 350 - 400 ish) and unlikely to take the car out on track.  It will cover some miles though.

Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Mark

Proof is a massive thing! find out who built it and give them a ring, most places will give you the low down on the car / build. 

Having a forged build is a massive asset to these hatches as they commonly suffer chocolate pistons.

James 

Thanks - ignoring the potential engine issues, which I understand can happen on stock cars too, what sort of power can the engine be safely tuned to without internal work? :baby: :thumbs_up:

Thanks - ignoring the potential engine issues, which I understand can happen on stock cars too, what sort of power can the engine be safely tuned to without internal work? :baby: :thumbs_up:

TBH I wouldn't even go much more than 330 340 ish on standard engine just asking for trouble

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, kershaw-330s said:

TBH I wouldn't even go much more than 330 340 ish on standard engine just asking for trouble

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok thanks pal - probably more than I need if I'm honest :thumbs_up: