Stick with Springs/struts, or move to coilovers?

Car: 05 WRX Wagon

Wheels: Standard

Suspension: KYB Excel-G, GB270 springs. 

So, i replaced all the struts last year and fitted some springs from a GB270 i managed to find cheap, but i went cheap and didn't bother replacing the top mounts (top hats?) at the same time, now i'm getting low speed knock, which from what i understand is likely to be caused by this. I guess it's telling that they've covered (probably) 100k as i don't have documentation stating they've been replaced. 

Anywho, I'm thinking either buy the matching KYB top mounts and fit it all, or go with a new set of coilovers from Meister/BC. The first is the cheaper option, but, i don't have ride height adjustability and i wouldn't mind shaving off another cm or 2 and having it all levelled. Currently it sits ever so slightly higher in the rear. 

That said, i wouldn't really want it too much stiffer than it is now. What do you guys think? 

I'll likely be doing droplinks and maybe ARBs at the same time(ish)

average taiwan coilovers are useless on uk B roads and downgrade in real handling and grip .

Get new top mounts and look into custom spring options from springcoil.co.uk if want alter things a bit . Don't lower too much on standards struts as can run out of compression travel plus limited travel range and spring preload changes can make for poorer handling .

15 minutes ago, Mr B said:

average taiwan coilovers are useless on uk B roads and downgrade in real handling and grip .

Get new top mounts and look into custom spring options from springcoil.co.uk if want alter things a bit . Don't lower too much on standards struts as can run out of compression travel plus limited travel range and spring preload changes can make for poorer handling .

Thanks Mr B.

Would the BC/Meister be considered "average taiwan coilovers"? 

I do think it's generally better to stick with springs/struts to try and maintain the best of both worlds, but as you say it's best not to limit the travel too much by going too low! From what i understand, the current springs are essentially the same as the original prodrive, or PCA remakes so do lower it a bit more than standard.

they are pretty much average taiwan coilovers . from my experience they useless on uk b road daily driving use and downgrade in traction and handling over well planned oem style suspension tweaks .
I've removed quite a few coilovers after owners bored of it , had failures or just downright dangerous road handling .

19 minutes ago, Mr B said:

they are pretty much average taiwan coilovers . from my experience they useless on uk b road daily driving use and downgrade in traction and handling over well planned oem style suspension tweaks .
I've removed quite a few coilovers after owners bored of it , had failures or just downright dangerous road handling .

Cool, thanks bud! I'll likely stick with the gb270 springs for now, unless a set of PCA come up before i fit the new top mounts. Do you have any recommendations for those? I was thinking KYB, since they'd match the struts though ICP and Lemforder get mentioned fairly regularly. Don't think i can stretch to any group N oem ones!

4 hours ago, Tidgy said:

check out pedders ezifit, full units including top mounts, shocks and lowering springs.

I wouldn't bother with coilovers on a  road car myself

Cheer bud, I wouldn't want to replace the whole lot though, as the struts were new last year and the springs are still good, only need to replace the top mounts! Just didn't know if coils would be a good option, but it seems the majority of people favour the spring/strut route which is understandable!

14 minutes ago, akafonzie said:

Cheer bud, I wouldn't want to replace the whole lot though, as the struts were new last year and the springs are still good, only need to replace the top mounts! Just didn't know if coils would be a good option, but it seems the majority of people favour the spring/strut route which is understandable!

i'm yet to find any coilovers that don't make the car a hard ride.

3 hours ago, Tidgy said:

i'm yet to find any coilovers that don't make the car a hard ride.

Seems to be the consensus. I spent the earlier part of my driving career in minis, and have had modified cars with coils previously, so i think maybe sticking with springs is best for me and my back for now =D

9 hours ago, Shepbomb said:

Running Pedders on the forester and more than happy with them, A set of Pedders will be going on the blob eye next year too

I did consider these before a set of KYB came up cheap new in box, i think if i keep the car past the life of these struts i'll likely think about moving over to them!

there's KYB and there's KYB.

sounds aft i know, but the standard shocks are made by KYB, but the spec on them are crap and they fail. I had KYB AGX shocks combined with eibachs on my old classic and they were very good.