Does a BOV affect power?

AndyF12807

I don't think it will affect the performance or health of the engine however it may give you more turbo lag as all the pressure in the system is vented out then it has to build it all back up again, my classic seems to get a bit more lag when i have my bov set to 100% vent to atmosphere where as if i have it set to say 50% it seems to spool up a bit quicker and if i screw it right down i get a little flutter from the turbo as i don't have it set up to recirculate but my td05 turbo can handle it although i never have it screwed right down because it will eventually feck the turbo, i see you're just up the road in bonnyrigg i'm originally from loanhead, got a mate up that way with a 2005 sti so if you fancy a wee run out in the summertime you're more than welcome to come along bud 😉👍👍

8 hours ago, stuartie said:

I don't think it will affect the performance or health of the engine however it may give you more turbo lag as all the pressure in the system is vented out then it has to build it all back up again, my classic seems to get a bit more lag when i have my bov set to 100% vent to atmosphere where as if i have it set to say 50% it seems to spool up a bit quicker and if i screw it right down i get a little flutter from the turbo as i don't have it set up to recirculate but my td05 turbo can handle it although i never have it screwed right down because it will eventually feck the turbo, i see you're just up the road in bonnyrigg i'm originally from loanhead, got a mate up that way with a 2005 sti so if you fancy a wee run out in the summertime you're more than welcome to come along bud 😉👍👍

Ahh okay, that does seem to make sense! It’s currently running some poor man’s bov and I was getting a bit worried if it was going to break/lose power in the long run! There is a chap selling a turbosmart supersonic at a reasonable price and I have sourced an OEM replacement too. What would you recommend is best?

A run in the summer sounds amazing, thanks for the invite :) what is it that you drive?

• Like 1

It will affect both the performance and health of the engine,

If it's dumping air out that the ecu has factored in it will poloiisbly runing lean then over compensating and chucking more fuel into the mix to correct.

Either get it mapped in or go back to stock

🖒

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I've got a classic v1 wrx but i've just taken the engine out to do the headgaskets as it was using a little coolant and it threw some out a couple of times when I'd been on boost, I'll have it all back together next month hopefully then it'l be a wee run up to andy forrest to get the yellow injectors and other mods mapped in 😁😁👍

11 hours ago, stuartie said:

I've got a classic v1 wrx but i've just taken the engine out to do the headgaskets as it was using a little coolant and it threw some out a couple of times when I'd been on boost, I'll have it all back together next month hopefully then it'l be a wee run up to andy forrest to get the yellow injectors and other mods mapped in 😁😁👍

Nice one mate! I’m new to the Subaru scene, I’ve had a history of Toyota, Audi and BMW and just bought my first a Rex 2 months ago. I wouldn’t mind a wee trip to visit Andy Forrest at some stage to get some advice!

Aye mr forrest certainly knows his stuff from what i'v heard from a couple of guys at work who prepare rally cars and from on this forum, i spoke to him not long after getting the car and he seems like a right nice bloke and going by his time attack/superlap car he can set them up pretty well 

• 3 weeks later...

Entirely depends on the valve and set up, an eBay BOV will normally be leaky and will mess AFR's up. If unsure stick with recirc unless theres a need to change!

Mikeyp @ TMS Motorsport
Email us : sales@tmsmotorsport.co.uk

whatsapp-25px.png
WhatsApp us for fast response : +447979127236
TMS Motorsport – AP Racing – BUY ONLINE

-   We ship worldwide to your door  -

-  Currently Breaking for parts – Hawkeye Subaru Impreza  - Honda S2000 -