Roof Bars

ernieb

I always like to have a set of roof bars.  The Subaru OEM ones are £190 but look identical to the Thule 961/757 combination (for the 2018 model) at under £150.

Any thoughts, comments please.

9 minutes ago, Norrie said:

I've still got the Thule ones I had on our forester and there the same fitting. I only paid £10 used off eBay.

I’ve looked nothing doing but always a good idea.  I use then from time to time, however, I have a similar set right now on the Yeti and they’ve been on for a few months with no noticeable increase in either fuel or noise, good design always works.  They have different fittings to the XV unfortunately.

Hi folks, just signed up to the forum as picking up my first Subaru next week, a 2014 XV. Can’t wait.

I’m also looking for a set of cross bars so I can fit my kayaks onto it.

I want to keep the bars fitted permanently and so for vanity was hoping to get some slim aero profile bars that fit between the rails rather than perch on top. Any one have any recommendations? The Subaru parts site just has the Thule ones that clamp on top. I was told a tale of woe from the salesman about the noise caused by non Subaru recommended roof bars.

cheers.

Hi Jarvis, I can not talk about the XV yet as mine is on order but the difference between the standard square cross section and aero bars on the Yeti is marked.  I can not really tell when the aero bars are on but it’s noticeable when the original square were fitted.  Which is why I’m looking for an aero bar myself, probably Thule.  

1 hour ago, Dogconker said:

I just bought a generic set of clamp bars that grab the roof rails from Halfords, cost about £60 with the members discount as I recall, we use them to fit a roof pod.

Thanks,  I’ve looked at a few but my concern is the noise generated.  I’m often travelling up the M1 some 100 miles or so and my original square bars gave you a headache at the end of the trip.  The aero bars are virtually silent, for  just around the houses the square non aero bars seem to be fine.

ill probably wait till I get the car before I decide what to do, roll on the end of May!

2 hours ago, ernieb said:

Thanks,  I’ve looked at a few but my concern is the noise generated.  I’m often travelling up the M1 some 100 miles or so and my original square bars gave you a headache at the end of the trip.  The aero bars are virtually silent, for  just around the houses the square non aero bars seem to be fine.

ill probably wait till I get the car before I decide what to do, roll on the end of May!

To be honest, theres not much noise from them, you already get noise from the roof rails.

• 3 months later...

Update:

I ended up purchasing the Whispbar Aero-X bars (now bought out by Yakima) from www.roofbox.co.uk for c.£170 They fit great between the rails and are aerodynamically shaped and locked. Also got the Whispbar J-cradle c.£150 for my kayak which are very sturdy and well designed and although chunky are also aerodynamically shaped. Have been on motorway and didn’t really notice any sound issue so I leave them on now as the kayak cradle folds down and is also lockable.

Pricey but very well designed and sturdy pieces of kit and IMO much better than the Thule kit and cheaper.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jarvis said:

Update:

I ended up purchasing the Whispbar Aero-X bars (now bought out by Yakima) from www.roofbox.co.uk for c.£170 They fit great between the rails and are aerodynamically shaped and locked. Also got the Whispbar J-cradle c.£150 for my kayak which are very sturdy and well designed and although chunky are also aerodynamically shaped. Have been on motorway and didn’t really notice any sound issue so I leave them on now as the kayak cradle folds down and is also lockable.

Pricey but very well designed and sturdy pieces of kit and IMO much better than the Thule kit and cheaper.

Bought mine from halfrauds for about £60 but then I don’t put anything expensive or heavy up there.

Rather surprisingly I’ve found that the Aerobars I bought for the Yeti had enough adjustment to fit on the XV, really happy with that as it saved some money which will go towards the new set of CrossClimate SUV tyres.

thanks for the replies.