New Member with a wrx 300 ppp 2005+ noisy gearbox

RJN

Hi All

Wonder if you can help...

I have owned my Subaru Wrx 300 on a 2005 plate for 3 years. Its a bit of an unused car as I use my work van mostly, so I only put around 1500 miles a year on it. Total of 72,000 on the clock. However it has full service history, part dealership mind. 

When I first acquired the car I took it to my local Subaru dealer for the airbag recall to be done. I purchased the car from a independent garage in Birmingham originally. However they did a so called complementary check on the car at Subaru. They then informed me that I required a new clutch because there is a noise from it, despite the fact it doesn't slip. However the noise, didn't go upon replacement and I was told it was the clutch release bearing which was also changed. Then they tried new gear oil. 

I was feeling a bit peeved off, as I have a new clutch and same noise. The noise to describe is a whining noise through the gears changing up and through 1st 2nd 3rd, not so noticeable in 4th or 5th gears. Also sounds like an old mini metro going along in reverse.  Anyway I got part of the payment for the clutch from the warranty company that came with my car, so not such a bad blow!

However to this day I still have the whining noise, car drives fine. I now get the car serviced from a local independent garage, well its been to two, both I know personally and have done work for, as I Install security systems. One guy immediately drove it and said its the diff bearing, the other mechanic said the gearbox needs to be reconditioned. I would like it to be fixed so to speak, but need a proper diagnoses. Have any of you had this issue, comments and opinions really appreciated.

Many thanks. 

On 2/16/2019 at 5:18 PM, GeoffLeggy said:

So it still does it in 4 and 5th?  Would you say it's rev range related?  

I'd say it does it through 4th and 5th too, but much more noticeable in 1st 2nd and 3rd going through the gear box up to 3000rpm, low revs and less so when at a steady cruise 50 / 60 mph in 5th say.